Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums  

Go Back   Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums > Current Memories Forum
Memories Forum Home Quick User Guide Register Wel-Met Photos Find Other Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2003, 10:00 PM   #1
andyg

Narrowsburg 68-69

Dec 6-03---
I stumbled into this site earlier this evening and have spent over an hour here. Mike A., great site! Your hard work is appreciated.
I only went to Wel-Met for two years, but have great memories.
It began with kissing Janet Eiger on the first night of camp, June 30, 1968, the day after my Bar Mitzvah. What an amazing place for a sheltered kid from Queens to learn about the world--okay, I mean girls.
Seeing posts here makes me wish I would have kept goin. I only was there for Unit IV and V. I have to admit that I only vaguely remember most of the people mentioned here, like Brett F, Cliff S, Danny B, Jeff G.. Seeing pictures of Eddie Karp, Steve Salzman, Karen Goldman is amazing.
Could it be that the Claudia referred to on a post is Claudia Basuk's? And I remember listening to the Moon Walk! It was visiting day. It was also my birthday. And I it was on my radio! Does anyone remember Rangers? Does anyone rmember tongue with raisin sauce? Or punch that tasted like uncooked Jello? Some other people and stuff I'd like to know if anyone else remembers:
My saying: "Hi, my name is Andy." mimicking one of the counselors.....a beautfiul Indian girl named Naidja......a counselor named Rich Freilich....a camp reunion in 1969 at Flushing Meadow Park.
--Andy Gluck
andyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 09:49 PM   #2
Mike Alterbaum
Super Site Supporter

I remember you, Andy

Andy,

Hi, this is Mike Alterbaum. Your name is so familiar to me. What were your bunk numbers in units 4 and 5? And yes, the Claudia you mentioned is Claudia Basuk! I saw her at the reunion last August, and I spoke to her last week. It has been so fantastic getting back in touch with everyone. I never realized how much I missed them. Where did you live in Queens? I grew up in Bayside, and I went to Cardozo High School. Take care.
Mike Alterbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 10:31 PM   #3
andyg

Mike:
Your name is fmailiar to me, too. I grew up in Flushing and went to Francis Lewis HS.
Please tell Claudia I say hello. I actually remember going to a party at her house in Plainview, and it was right around where I live now, in Jericho.
As far as my bunk number, the truth is I sometimes forget my own age and Social Secruity. No way I remember my bunk number.
I think one year I was in a bunk with Steve Salzman and Jeff Goldstein because I remember them comign to visit me from Brooklyn after one summer, but I cannot tel you if it was Unit IV or V. There was a little guy from Pearl River, NY in that bunk, named Stu, a brooding kid named Orban. Eddie Karp may also have been in that bunk. Oh, and there was a kid who I won't name who was famous for having one testacle.
Andy
andyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 09:47 AM   #4
Marty Guttman

Narrowsburg 1968

I'm just reading this thread now, obviously a little late. I was a counselor in Unit 4 1968. the Rich Freiman you mentioned was my swing for the 6 week trip. I think I had Bunk 71. The Claudia you mentioned was in my(current) wife's bunk. Unfortunately until I found this site I lost touch with my Wel-Met past.
Marty Guttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 10:01 AM   #5
cliff weber

Wink

Marty: Cliff Weber here.Sorry for the delay in responding to you. Yes, we were counselors in Eddie Fischer Unit 4 Narrowsburg, 1968, to my mind the last Unit that functioned in the traditional Wel-Met hierarchical way. Also the year counselor Steve (don't remember his last name) introduced me to the classic Al Kooper BS & T album which I still listen to incessantly. I guess also the year in which the world really started to change.Great to see that your marriage to Judy has prospered. I see you are in NY. What are you up to ?
cliff weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 11:27 AM   #6
Davia Love

Hi Cliff! Read your post, and wondered if you (or anyone else) knows anything about Eddie Fisher (currently, that is)?

Davia
Davia Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 11:53 AM   #7
cliff weber

Smile

Davia: I actually don't, but I have thought about him periodically over the years. He was a real Wel-Met traditional guy. Wanted to be a dentist, right ? Some things about him are very clear to me: big wood piles, running a tight ship, clear authority lines. I remember that when we were in Unit 4 with him with you as Unit clerk you already knew and liked him, maybe from Unit 3. He also had a distinctive waddling/strutting kind of walk. Anyway, how are you doing ? Are you atending the upcoming reunion ? Cliff
cliff weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 04:17 PM   #8
Docbrett

Send a message via AIM to Docbrett
Cliff,

The honor of your presence is respectfully requested by many this weekend, couldn't and wouldn't be the same without you. I promise I will blow off play rehearsal and play softball with the tent so as to not further incite your wrath. Levine promises to take another shot to the head for old time sake, (minus the seizure this time) and Peach will be there to keep the peace as usual. Brietstein (balls) is a wild card, but I bet I can push a button or two. Drive up and help us make a kickass bonfire Saturday night. Of course you will miss cantaloupe and onion rolls for Saturday morning breakfast, but you can't have it all. Actually, you can! I'll save you some. Brett
Docbrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 05:15 PM   #9
Marty Guttman

Cliff:Marty Guttman here. Actually I remember meeting Eddie Fisher in either late 1968 or early 1969 as he was waiting to take the Dental Boards I have occassionally wondered what kind of dentist he became. The counselor Steve you mentioned could have been Rosen or Rosenberg(there were 2). The tall blond Steve(Rosenberg) didn't last the summer. The other Steve(Rosen) was a quiet intellectual type So it would be interesting to note which 1 did it. As for me I went into Education and retired from the New York City Dept of Ed. I was an Assistant Principal. I really enjoyed and didn't want to but that is another long said story. I'm planning to go to the Weekend. How have the last 37 years treated you?-Marty
Marty Guttman is offline   Reply With Quote