Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums  

Go Back   Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums > Current Memories Forum
Memories Forum Home Quick User Guide Register Wel-Met Photos Find Other Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2008, 08:15 AM   #31
Docbrett

Send a message via AIM to Docbrett
Eddie,

Mark Lowit was a great shortstop, and always gave me a run for my money. He had a gun for an arm but usually got a little nervous during All Star Game tryouts, and made an error or two, thus the reason I beat him out every year for the position. He was easily as good as I was, I just had ice water running through my veins and was probably damn lucky to boot.

Brett
Docbrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 06:41 AM   #32
EddieK

Good infielders

Brett - I don't know if you remember him, but in 68, Jon Dunn was also a good SS. Jon and Paul Shapiro competed in the lower quad similar to you and Lowitt in the Upper...Jon turned into an outstanding basketball player, all the more impressive considering his short stature.

EK
EddieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:33 PM   #33
Davia Love

Hi guys

Glad you're having so much fun with my post asking about Corky (yes, Corinne) Zimmerman!

I was the Unit Clerk in Unit 4 in both 67 (for Ben-Ami Gelin) and 68 (for Eddie Fisher) (or was it the other way around?). Anyway, Jeff Tenzer wasn't in Unit 3 or 4 - he was "waterfront", wasn't he (he was a good friend of mine).

I have a distinct recollection of Lori Lerner belting out some song -- I thought it was How to Succeed, but I'm not sure what part she played. I remember this because her sister Elysa Lerner was a friend of mine and couldn't carry a tune!!
Davia Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:42 PM   #34
Marty Guttman

In 1968 it was Eddie Fisher in Unit 4.

Jeff Tenzer was was a counselor in Unit 4. He ran the camper play "How to Suceeed...' as well as playing Sancho Panza in an incredible "Man of Lamancha". As i recall Larrry Wohlman was the Waterfront guy that year. I wonder if he is the only Wel-Met alum to have a school building named after him.

As I recall Lori played Smitty and did a wonderful job.

Interestingly I ran into Elysa in a Board of Ed course in 1978. She was, I believe a math teacher.
Marty Guttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:04 PM   #35
Davia Love

Elysa is a Special Ed. teacher now. You're right, I was confusing Jeff and Larry (who were great friends). You do know that Jeff passed away years ago?
Old 02-02-2009, 07:05 PM   #36
Davia Love

Oh, and Jeff also played Nicely Nicely Johnson in Guys and Dolls ("Sit Down You're Rocking the Boat") when we were campers in Unit 5 (that would have been 1964)!
Old 02-02-2009, 07:47 PM   #37
Marty Guttman

I had run into Jeff several times after Unit 4. He was finishing up at SUNY-Binghamton when my wife was a student there. I later met him at NYU Grad school. He passed in the early 90s . He then had the school building he worked in named after him. Quite an honor! He was a really special person.

I had known Larry, a bit in high school, from the Swim team. I also saw him at the renaming of the school
Old 02-05-2009, 09:31 AM   #38
Docbrett

Send a message via AIM to Docbrett
Jeff Tenzer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Congressional Record article 14 of 33 Printer Friendly Display - 1,832 bytes.[Help]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
JEFFREY C. TENZER, DEDICATED TEACHER, TO BE MISSED BY ALL -- HON. BILL GREEN (Extension of Remarks - January 22, 1991)

[Page: E243]
---

HON. BILL GREEN

in the House of Representatives

TUESDAY, JANUARY 22, 1991

Mr. GREEN of New York. Mr. Speaker, I rise today to remember my constituent Jeffrey C. Tenzer, a dedicated teacher, who passed away unexpectedly last year at the age of 39.

On December 5, 1990, the Auxiliary Services for High Schools, a high school equivalency program located throughout New York City, renamed its Forsyth Learning Center in Manhattan the Jeffrey C. Tenzer Center.

Although I never had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Tenzer, I should like to call attention to his efforts to better the educational experience of his students. Throughout his tenure as a devoted educator and later as assistant principal for the Auxiliary Services for High Schools, Jeff Tenzer left his mark on all those with whom he came into contact. His commitment to his students and all children in New York City was his most respected attribute.

In addition to his work with Auxiliary Services, Mr. Tenzer was secretary of the board of the Staten Island Children's Center, an origninal member of the New York City Literacy Initiative, and a member of the executive committee of the Council of Supervisors and Administrators.

At this time, I should like to join my colleagues in extending best wishes to Mr. Tenzer's wife Ilene, and daughter Andrea. Mr. Tenzer was a caring individual and an excellent teacher who surely will be missed by all.
Docbrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:01 PM   #39
Marty Guttman

That was quite a triibute! I didn't realize that it was more than 18 years ago.
As I remember Jeff loved theater. In fact the year we were at SUNY-Binghamton at the same time Judy and I must have seen at least 2 productions that he was in.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:56 PM   #40
Andy Ravick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davia Love View Post
Glad you're having so much fun with my post asking about Corky (yes, Corinne) Zimmerman!

I was the Unit Clerk in Unit 4 in both 67 (for Ben-Ami Gelin) and 68 (for Eddie Fisher) (or was it the other way around?). Anyway, Jeff Tenzer wasn't in Unit 3 or 4 - he was "waterfront", wasn't he (he was a good friend of mine).

I have a distinct recollection of Lori Lerner belting out some song -- I thought it was How to Succeed, but I'm not sure what part she played. I remember this because her sister Elysa Lerner was a friend of mine and couldn't carry a tune!!
Davia,

If I'm not mistaken, You used to sing around a campfire during training week. I vaguely remember a song calle, "pre period Blues". Of course that might have been a different year in unit four. I was a counselor in 1968 and a p.a. in 69 and 70.

Andy
Andy Ravick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:01 PM   #41
Andy Ravick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Guttman View Post
In 1968 it was Eddie Fisher in Unit 4.

Jeff Tenzer was was a counselor in Unit 4. He ran the camper play "How to Suceeed...' as well as playing Sancho Panza in an incredible "Man of Lamancha". As i recall Larrry Wohlman was the Waterfront guy that year. I wonder if he is the only Wel-Met alum to have a school building named after him.

As I recall Lori played Smitty and did a wonderful job.

Interestingly I ran into Elysa in a Board of Ed course in 1978. She was, I believe a math teacher.
Larry was a counselor. We had a female waterfront head that year. If any of my memories are correct, on boys side, we had Richie Fryman, Jeff Tenzer, Alan Emden (did not last the summer.), Chuck Billich, Steve Goodman, Larry Wollman, Mark Shulte, Me, (Blue) Max Kleinman, Cliff Weber and Mike Gerber. I tented with Max.
Our unit dominated "Man of La Mancha", with Nickie Dreskin as Aldonza, Fred Janney as Don Quixote and Jeff as Sancho. I played the inn keeper, Larry was Pedro (we had lunch together -- that one was just for you Marty--), Max was Anselmo and Richie was another muleteer.

Loris was a very talented girl. She was also a lead in "Bye bye Birdie" in unit 3. She played Rosie.

Interestingly I ran into Elysa in a Board of Ed course in 1978. She was, I believe a math teacher.[/quote]
Andy Ravick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:23 PM   #42
corinne zimmerman

Smile Corinne 'Corky' Zimmerman

Hi Davia,

I was playing on the computer and typed in my name and your search for me appeared. Help to remind me of our connection. It's all a blur.

By the way, I live in New York.

Regards,
Corinne
corinne zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:00 AM   #43
Davia Love

Corky, send me your email address.

I don't even remember what "units" we were in together, but I'm guessing it was Unit 5 and Pioneers. I just remember you had moved from Oceanside to Florida and your dad owned a motel.

And I kind of remember what you looked like (reddish hair)?

I was good friends in camp with Shelley Stahl, Laurie Langer, Linda Rauch, Jono Zeitlin, Jay Neveloff, Jeff Tenzer. Had a HUGE crush on Lewie Tanner in Pioneers (very unrequited, I'm afraid).

You can email me at dmlove51@hotmail.com. That's my "public" email address.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:42 PM   #44
Hank

Allstar team

Eddie / Brett , We had a great team and I was at third base...now I have a hard time putting on my shoes...

how can we get in touch with stern? someone told me he mentioned me on the radio a while back?

Miss those summers and think of them often..and I try and tell my kids all about them

Hank
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote