Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums  

Go Back   Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums > Current Memories Forum
Memories Forum Home Quick User Guide Register Wel-Met Photos Find Other Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2003, 08:38 PM   #1
snrubin

Barryville from 1963-1969

Hi,

Anyone out there go to Barryville 1963-1969? There was nothing better than Wel-Met - never was, never will be. I'd love to talk to any of you ...

Nan
Old 11-04-2003, 08:15 AM   #2
AlanAbbey

Barryville

I was in Barryville from 1965-1969 (Unit 2 through Pioneers), six-week trip. We built a stage behind our bunk in Unit 2, did "Guys and Dolls in Unit 4 (or was it 5?) and finished building the showerhouse for Pioneers started by the three-week trip.

As I've said before on this forum (I changed my registration name because my email address changed), my kids have heard my Wel-Met stories 100+ times already.

Who do you know from that era?
AlanAbbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 10:29 AM   #3
Kitchenboy4life

Barryville Rules

First, as always Barryville rules!!!!

I was a camper from Unit I in 1961, George Getzel was first my counsellor, through Unit V in 1965 Western Trip in 1967, I think #5 and a kitchenboy for the next 5 years 1968-1972.

I am a Wel-Met lifer having met my wife Debbye Gitelson at Wel-Met. Of course my kids had to endure endless Wel-Met stories and my youngest loves rocky mountain toast.

Hal Brandell
Kitchenboy4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 08:41 AM   #4
RStanton

I was a Barryville camper from 64 - 69. Western trip 70 #2, then a TAC, then an clerk in the office, a counslor on the Western Trip. Spent many wonderful years. Now am trying to reconnect with long lost friends.

Anyone out there?
RStanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 01:54 PM   #5
Mitchell Shuldm

I was also at Barryville for many years ... from 1963-69 (6 week), Western Trip 1969, followed by one year as Pioneer Unit Clerk (1970) and as Unit 2 counselor in 1971. My brother (Ira - 2 years older ) also went to Barryville every summer through his Western Trip in 1967. He was then a kitchenboy.

In Unit 1 our boys bunk had a female counselor named Fran. Peter Rothbart was in this bunk with me. We were in almost every Unit together including the Western Trip. We are friends to this day. In fact Peter and I (and a few others but I'm sorry to say I can't remember who) built the new Pioneers latrine. Our names are probably still carved in that wood.

We went to Expo 1967. My counselor (name escapes me) was gynmast and I remember him doing handstands on a bridge that crossed the St. Lawrence Seaway. What a maniac! Sid Dinerstein (and Ken?) was one counselor I had for two years in Unit 2 and 3 - I think.

Long Live Wel_Met!
Mitchell Shuldm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 10:16 PM   #6
Barry Obut

Expo 67. I remember that. But I think maybe it wasn't really Expo '67 any more. The expo had ended as I recall, but many of the exhibits contiued running on the site. I was impressed with the escalators that wer just moving rubber ramps with no actual steps. Anyway it was John the Gymnast that did the risky handstands over the river. I don't recall his last name, but we always called him John the Gymnast. Mitch, another memory that your post about Expo 67 brought back was a hike we took from Barryville to Narrowsburg, and back. It was unofficial, but with our councelors. As I recall we got back at about midnight after they sent a truck out to look for us and we were in big trouble. Forty miles (or so) in one day. Who else remebers this hike. Or did I dream it up?

Barry Obut
Western Trip #4 1969
Barryville 6 weeks 66-68
Narrowsburg 3 weeks 65
As best as I can remember.
Barry Obut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 10:11 AM   #7
EricLiebes

Smile Expo "67" visit

I think we went as 6 week Pioneers from Barryville in the summer of 69. It was billed as a preview to the next year's Western Trip. One memory I have was that we had more kids on the bus than the number of seats. When we went through the border we deliberately milled around so that we were uncountable. I don't think that would work these days!

--Eric
EricLiebes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 05:36 PM   #8
cheri

Barryville

Hi Hal,

I had forgotten about George Getzel until I saw your email. I can't remember if he was Unit 2 Director in 1966 and asst camp director in 1967?? It all starts blending together.

Does Ira know about this website?? Keep in touch. I have two granddaughters now.

Cheri
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 12:40 PM   #9
BillSchacter

Oliver?

Hello all, new to the site. I can't believe how much information is on it.

I was in Unit V in '67. I remember Guys and Dolls, since I was Nicely-Nicely Johnson ("sit down you're rockin' the boat). Then in Pioneers in 68. I was Oliver in Oliver (I remember my voice cracking in "Where is Love" when we played it for the senior citizens somewhere outside of camp). Also remember doing construction on the Pioneers site.

I also remember going to the Montreal Expo and thinking it was pretty cool.

Let me know if you remember me.

Bill
BillSchacter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 01:49 PM   #10
Steve Alter

western trip 1974

Hey Bill,

You were a counselor on my Western Trip (1974-III).
Great to see you on this site.

Many of us have stayed in good touch from that trip, and we had a nice group at the reunion at Narrowsburg this June.

And the most pleasant surprise was that Lucia was there as well. She was screaming when she saw us. Wish you were there as well.

If you want to attach a face to my name, I am in another of the pictures Mark J posted from Silver Lake 75 where I was kitchen staff. Glen Sherman is also in the photo. There are also pictures of the Western trip posted.

Hope life has treated you well over the past 31 (!) years. Like so many wel-met alum, I am a psychologist. I live and practice in Queens- Married with a 16yo son.

Peace-

Steve Alter
Steve Alter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 02:19 PM   #11
stew

Barryville

Hi Bill -

Stew Koenig here. I remember you, and I'm pretty sure we were in the same bunk. I was in Guys and Dolls as Benny Southstreet and Oliver, too.

So hoow's you're acting career going now?

Regards,

Stew
stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 04:01 PM   #12
BillSchacter

Flashbacks

This site is a trip.

Stew Koenig, eh? I think I remember you. My acting career pretty much ended with WelMet, although my musical career began (not that it went that far, but I did do some coffeehouses during college). My son (18 y) is now a lead in his play as a freshman at Earlham College, so the tradition continues.

I am in charge of operations for an international event marketing company.

Steve Alter, I remember the name but not the face. Funny thing is I was also a counselor in Silver Lake in '75 (I'm pictured with the Single Parent Staff that someone posted.) I can't believe that Lucia came to the reunion. I knew nothing about it (although I have kept in touch with Jon Dunn and Eddie Karp, but they didn't let me in on this until recently).

Do you have a way to get in touch with Lucia?

Thanks for writing,
Bill
Old 10-11-2005, 03:39 PM   #13
Steve Alter

Bill,

Lucia lives in Larchmont, Westchester. I will ask around if anyone got her email that weekend.

Steve
Steve Alter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 09:42 PM   #14
Suzi Langer

I was also in that picture from 1975....Silverlake single parent group....although I have to admit that I don't remember ever being in such a group!! Bill Schacter...I remember you though...I do believe I was a pioneer counselor that summer and possibly you were the UD or something like that! I guess we were at Silverlake although all other years I was always at Barryville. I remember you had a sister named Wendy...she was possibly my TAC counselor in 1972. Anyway...if you remember me....hi!

A funny memory....I directed "Bye-Bye Birdie" for pioneers that summer...it was my hobby group(remember those groups?!) You were upset that Kim (lead character) was undressing...but under a very big shirt during a song...Might have been "One Boy".....but you know it was all for the effect of the song!! I guess some things you just don't forget!
Suzi Langer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 10:43 AM   #15
BillSchacter

Suzi,

I afraid to say that I don't remember much of Silver Lake. I certainly didn't remember that picture being taken. Nor do I remember why I was Silver Lake, since normally I was also at Barryville (although it is all a bit hazy).

I guess I was in a position of authority if I was concerned about the Bye Bye Birdie routine that you described. I can't imagine being concerned about something like that...but I was older then, I'm younger than that now.

Yes, I have a sister named Wendy who currently lives in Fayettville, Arkansas with two children and a life partner. She would probably remember you better than I. I will forward this site to her.

Thanks for sharing your memories,

Bill
Old 10-13-2005, 07:34 PM   #16
Suzi Langer

ditto Bill...I'm also much "younger than that now" too. And I also don't remember really being in Silverlake that summer, but have been told thats where I was. Thanks for writing back and I will look forward to seeing if Wendy pops on.

P.S. I'm totally over the Bye Bye Birdie thing!
Suzi Langer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:54 PM   #17
ferryman

Barryville,67-69

Hi,
my name is Steve Kiss and I was a PA inUnit IV in 67, V in 68 and Pioneers in 69 that wonderful soggy summer of Woodstock. memories do fade so anybody who remembers me would be most welcome to hear from. I remember I directed the staff shows the Fantasticks and also Man of La Mancha. Ed Fisher who was a leader of Unit III for years is a member of my temple in Nyack,NY. Hope to hear from you
ferryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 12:26 PM   #18
howard jackson

Hi All,

My name is Howard Jackson and I was in Barryville from '64 or '65 through '68. Six week session. I've only recently found this site and have been going over in my mind some very fond memories.

One recollection that sticks out is being involved in the building of a Hiroshima Memorial. Is there anyone out there that remembers this? Others memories are vague, but include 12 Angry Men, Guys and Dolls and Anne Frank (maybe).

Anyone know anything about Andrew Chernack, Howard Lipow, Lloyd Garten, Lauri Kramer or any others of that ilk? I would enjoy hearing from anyone who might remember me.

Thanks

Last edited by howard jackson; 07-09-2007 at 04:06 PM.
howard jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 12:10 AM   #19
Davia Love

Steve, that wouldn't be the same Ed Fisher who was leader of Western Trip 1 in 1966 and Unit Director of Unit IV at Narrowsburg in 1968, would it (I don't recall that he was also at Barryville, but I'm sure I could just have forgotten). Anyway, if it is the same person, please please tell him Davi Weinberg (I was his Unit Clerk) sent her very fond regards!
Davia Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:20 AM   #20
Marty Guttman

Hi Steve-I was a counselor in 1968. Most of the Man of LaMancha cast was from Unit IV which was Eddie fishers Unit(not III). the last i saw Eddie was early 1969. Did he become a dentist?
Marty Guttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:20 AM   #21
Marty Guttman

Hi Steve-I was a counselor in 1968. Most of the Man of LaMancha cast was from Unit IV which was Eddie fishers Unit(not III). the last i saw Eddie was early 1969. Did he become a dentist?
Marty Guttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 12:11 PM   #22
Davia Love

Ed Fisher

Marty, there's an Ed Fisher, D.D.S. listed in the Yahoo yellow pages -- it must be him!
Davia Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:24 AM   #23
Richard Steinbe

Thumbs up Our 3rd counselor: Fran

Hi Mitchell,

We may have been bunk mates. I just posted a message saying that when I was in Barrysville I was in a bunk with a 3rd counsellor named Fran. At one point one of the male counselors gave us a talk about sex and asked Fran to leave so as not to embarrass her.

On year at Well-Met our bunk did something naughty (NOT my idea, by the way).
We were camping out in the woods, and assigned to collect firewood. We came across an existing pile of firewood, with a sign that said bunk II. Spontaneously the bunk shamelessly raided this collection of firewood. Later, one of the counselors from bunk 2 came and saw our counselors and said that someone had stolen their firewood. We all said that we didn't take bunk 2's firewood. Later, when our conselor was not there, we thought, well, we had told the truth, we hadn't taken bunk 2's, we had taken bunk 11's. Then I said: "IAha, It was bunk 2. The sign was in Roman numerals." I believe the statute of limitations for theft of firewood has run out, so I can tell this story now. Do you recall this incident?

Richard

QUOTE=Mitchell Shuldm;91]I was also at Barryville for many years ... from 1963-69 (6 week), Western Trip 1969, followed by one year as Pioneer Unit Clerk (1970) and as Unit 2 counselor in 1971. My brother (Ira - 2 years older ) also went to Barryville every summer through his Western Trip in 1967. He was then a kitchenboy.

In Unit 1 our boys bunk had a female counselor named Fran. Peter Rothbart was in this bunk with me. We were in almost every Unit together including the Western Trip. We are friends to this day. In fact Peter and I (and a few others but I'm sorry to say I can't remember who) built the new Pioneers latrine. Our names are probably still carved in that wood.

We went to Expo 1967. My counselor (name escapes me) was gynmast and I remember him doing handstands on a bridge that crossed the St. Lawrence Seaway. What a maniac! Sid Dinerstein (and Ken?) was one counselor I had for two years in Unit 2 and 3 - I think.

Long Live Wel_Met![/quote]
Richard Steinbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 04:17 PM   #24
glenn conway`

Hello Howard,

My name is Glenn Conway. I was a six-weeker at Barryville that year. I remember lots of music ... and so much more. Laurie Kramer is definately a name I remember - Richie DeVries-B Faust as well.

Do I jostle a memory?
glenn conway` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 09:02 PM   #25
Andy Chernack

Howie,

The plaque we made for the Shinto temple gate (blue and yellow stones?) read, "Atoms for Peace", didn't it? I'm going to have to do some basement archeology to find the photos....

I also remember looking forward to seeing you every summer.

And I remember we did 12 Angry Men...for a Saturday morning Forum in Unit III? (every once in a while I find myself saying, "Excuse me, this was a secret ballot." for no particular reason).

Weren't we bunkmates almost all the way through Unit V? I can remember talking together, sitting on our trunks outside of our Unit I or II bunk arriving? departing?

My sons don't know that Wel-Met is the reason I drag them out to the backyard at 1 AM to watch the Perseid meteor shower every August - does anyone else remember whole units sleeping out on the ballfield to watch the show? Memory is so intense, and so unreliable!

I live in Hyde Park, NY now...except the part that still lives in Barryville.
Andy Chernack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:28 AM   #26
gary1452

Hey Bill,

You were my counselor in 1973. I think it was unit 5. i was in pioneers in 1974. i remember you either reading to us before bed or playing the guitar. For some reason the Rolling Stones' Wild Horses seems stuck in my mind ! The other things that stick in my mind is when we were at our campsite in the woods, you'd never tell me the time it was. Telling me in the woods there's no need to follow a schedule. We also got in trouble that year because we hiked thru the swamp at the end of the lake and you allowed us to swim back across the lake without getting permission ahead of time.
gary1452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:44 PM   #27
aliceb

Barryviller here

Alice (Butchen) Cohen here....
Thrilled to find this site!

I was a 3 weeker in Barryville from '63 thru pioneer camp and on WT#1 in 68, I think. Those were the best summers of my life...all of them. Even today the smell of pine leaves, seeing those brown pine sticks and hearing a stream brings me back to camp. Man, did I love Wel-Met. There is a kind of pride in it all. When my friends tell me about their camps I laugh...woosies, all of them. Hair dryers? Bad hair days? Bathrooms? P'Shaw to them all. Show me a Wel-Metter and I'll show you a Jewish person who can lash, camp and laugh, all at the same time. And in times of financial trouble, be sure we will recognize each other by our ability to feed a family of 30 on tomato, white bread, american cheese and lard. (in 30 different ways!)
STILL making rocky mountain toast!

Liz Feller and I are still great friends. Anyone remember us? I think we terrorized the boys bunks.
Where is Dani Swiskay, Ellen Stalerman, & Ellen Schweitzer?
Eddie Hoffman, "Smelly", Gary Himber....everyone from the WT?

I'm so sorry I didn't know about the reunion. Willing to do another!!!

Take care everyone
aliceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:46 PM   #28
aliceb

Barryviller here

Alice (Butchen) Cohen here....
Thrilled to find this site!

I was a 3 weeker in Barryville from '63 thru pioneer camp and on WT#1 in 68, I think. Those were the best summers of my life...all of them. Even today the smell of pine leaves, seeing those brown pine sticks and hearing a stream brings me back to camp. Man, did I love Wel-Met. There is a kind of pride in it all. When my friends tell me about their camps I laugh...woosies, all of them. Hair dryers? Bad hair days? Bathrooms? P'Shaw to them all. Show me a Wel-Metter and I'll show you a Jewish person who can lash, camp and laugh, all at the same time. And in times of financial trouble, be sure we will recognize each other by our ability to feed a family of 30 on tomato, white bread, american cheese and lard. (in 30 different ways!)
STILL making rocky mountain toast!

Liz Feller and I are still great friends. Anyone remember us? I think we terrorized the boys bunks.
Where are Dani Swiskay, Ellen Stalerman, & Ellen Schweitzer?
Eddie Hoffman, "Smelly", Gary Himber....everyone from the WT?

I'm so sorry I didn't know about the reunion. Willing to do another!!!

Take care everyone
aliceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:22 PM   #29
ClaudiaTeller

barryville 64-68

hi. barryville 64-68. i think i was on the expo 67 trip, too, but don't remember a gymnast. i also remember walking from barryville to narrowsburg. i think that was during rehearsals of "oliver" because my beau at the time played fagin and for some reason, i remember him singing "i'm reviewing the situation" in narrowsburg. was that unit 5? i thought "oliver" was pioneers, but that was 68.

i also remember "the pajama game" and "bye bye birdie." big frank badone played conrad birdie. does anyone know whatever happened to him?

will we ever know the real truth of time, place, person or circumstance of these memories? does it matter? does anybody really know what time it is? does anybody really care? we are from the wel-met cult, and our hearts are all happier for it.
ClaudiaTeller is offline   Reply With Quote