Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums  

Go Back   Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums > Current Memories Forum
Memories Forum Home Quick User Guide Register Wel-Met Photos Find Other Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2004, 08:55 PM   #1
andreavolt

Arrow Western Trip '65 (I think) Unit V Narrowsburg 63, Unit IV 62 (estimates)

You found me Doug....Western Trip '65 (I think) Unit V Narrowsburg 63, Unit IV 62 (estimates)

I will be at reunion with my sister Roz Sat July 17 and Sun morning. Looking forward to finding old buddies from 65 Western Trip Narrowsburg 63, Unit IV 62 (estimates)

Just seeing all of the old names brings a tear to my eye. How are you all? Will you be at the reunion?

I remember being rained out in the middle of (where was it?) and we had to go to a motel. And, to this day, I say the best Mexican food I have ever had was in New Mexico in 1965 despite the fact that I have traveled throughout Latin America since.

Another Memory: How about walking to the bottom of the Grand Canyon, sleeping on the floor of the restroom because it was so cold and awful and the next day, hiking back up, when I begged for a salt pill.

One More: My photos show happy lean young things of 15. They are in great shape in an album and I treasure tham to this day. I never kept up with anyone from camp for any great length of time, but maybe it's not too late.

Old friends. I look forward to hearing from you soon at andreavolt@earthlink.net.

Andi Guterman Polk-Stephenson

Last edited by andreavolt; 07-10-2004 at 09:08 PM.
andreavolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 12:31 AM   #2
Elliott Masie

Trip 1?

Andrea..

Were you on Trip 1 that year, with Larry as the Trip Director?

Elliott Masie
Elliott Masie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 03:53 AM   #3
Scott Engelhard

Wink Elliott???

Elliott:
When you say WTDirector, did you go out on a trip that year ('76)? Are you the Elliott who took us out that year? Our leader, Elliott, was supposedly real active in SDS, and went on the road with us kids, with Bob Parliment behind the wheel... Is that you???!!! I remember our fearless leader had a lot to deal with, with our crew, and would occasionally emerge from his tent with white schmutz at the corners of his mouth. I didn't realize the implications at the time - you were holding out on us weren't you?

It's you isn't it? Of course it is!!! You didn't look like a hippie, but you were a great man. Except for Glen, we all got home in one piece. I couldn't think of your last name, but since getting in touch with Eddie Karp a couple months ago, I've been trying to remember your name. I can picture your face exactly... you had a slight undercover thing with Sherri C. right? I mean in the spirit of "if you can't be with the one you love, honey, love the one you’re with."

Where is she??? Did you marry her? If you're in touch, please say hello for me... What are you doing in Saratoga Springs???

Dammit, of course it's you... Elliott Masie!!! Are you like 6'3" or did you just seem really big because we were kids. I gotta tell you, those were some times I'll never forget... We made it to the bottom of the Grand Canyon... I still have a tin cup from the Flying W Ranch, and a guitar case with stickers from Blue Mounds State Park (abutting a buffalo reserve), Wall Drug, SD, Wyoming, Bryce Canyon, Santa Fe, Nashville/The Grand Ole Opry, Boot Hill, Dodge City, Mount Rushmore, Big Rock Candy Mtn... and so much more… didn't we stop at the Coors Brewery, too?

Anyway... Thank you very much. You were fair and judicious, calm and smart in the face of some trouble and made some tough choices, with love in your heart. We all had a great time (except for Glen), in large part, because of your leadership and unflappable demeanor.

I remember Mark Kaplan (a handsome track and field guy, ironically), dehydrating and puking on a hike at Bryce Canyon... and a lightning display on our way up from the Grand Canyon… the Indian mud structures (hogans in New Mexico?) like apartments cut into the earth, “Paint Your Wagon,” at a Jackson Hole dinner theater, throwing a snowball near Pike’s Peak in July, singing all across the U. S. and on the steps of the Jefferson Memorial, a visit inside the FBI (but they didn't show any of Hoover's dresses, and I really enjoy gowns), dinner at Hogate’s (a special surprise treat), filling Frisbees with cherries at an orchard outside Salt Lake City, hearing a pin drop in the Mormon Tabernacle, a thousand other things, and, mostly, all the beautiful people on the bus… Hey, what was our trip number, do you know?

So, I just turned 40, for the fourth year in a row… does that mean you’re pushing 55? If you need someone to shovel your place this winter, just give me a call… By the way, what happened Tuesday… you must be slacking off, or we wouldn’t be in Iraq…

Anyway, Thanks again…

Love, Scott E.

*** within minutes of filing this note, in the middle of the night, PBS ran a special on Mesa Verde, and native cultures; that's where the mud apartments are! That HAS to be a sign from my Higher Power (and I didn't even realize that Stevie Wonder controls PBS) I gotta go back... SOON!

Elliott: Do you know Prof. Howard Zinn???

Last edited by Scott Engelhard; 11-17-2004 at 12:42 AM.
Scott Engelhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 08:00 AM   #4
marjorie

Lightbulb memory!

Scott, you have an amazing memory. But, do you recall who the trigger man was in Jackson Hole? I think Roy Berhens, my erstwhile boyfriend (24 hours). What are you doing in St. Louis? Marjorie
marjorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 12:43 PM   #5
Scott Engelhard

Wink

Dr. Marjorie:
I'm sorry that I didn't reply to your post on the other thread in August, I feel bad. I meant to right away, and I meant to chastise the rest of the troops for not celebrating your return, but I guess I got distracted with my own soap opera life... I was glad to see you and Alicia reconnect and trade e-mails...

I, of course, absolutely can picture your face and the faces of some of your cronies: Leslie Rabinowitz (one of the funniest, smartest, coolest girls ever), Sylvia Meyers, Barbara Kazdin (a personal favorite), Janet Warshay (loved her, too), Janet Jupiter, Sheila Alter, Laura Kaufman, Helene Schneider, Jennifer Bodo, Sherri Cohen (counselor), Tamar "Tammy" Harris, Maddy Gold, Lynn, Fran, Carrie, at least two Wendies, Cyndi, and of course Lisa Mendelowitz, Rhonda, Nancy Basch... and many more... (I'm still a sucker for hip-huggers and cut-offs; probably my downfall) I have a picture of you and Sylvia and/or Leslie somewhere (I'll post it one day, maybe over the winter). I bet you're one gorgeous therapist/Mommy, and it's nice to see you married someone in your field. I bet your kids are super nice.

I didn't know your last name was Dermer, or believe me, I wouldn't have been able to let that slide without a slaw of deli-related quips (i'm still extremely silly). I did know you were very nice, quiet, reserved, smart, and just a little too good for a guy like me. So Roy was your man for a day. He had curly blonde hair, not extra tall and was friends with Mark Kaplan, right?

Anyway, Roy was NOT the shooter. And yes, I do know who the trigger man was... but I'm not going to name him, especially on the web (nor anywhere else for that matter/Woodward and Bernstein are still my top heroes - also MLK, Hank Aaron, Roberto Clemente, Reggie Jackson and Manute Bol). He didn't do it on purpose, he's always felt very bad about it (I'm sure he's still scarred, I guarantee he felt worse than Glen), and he's tried hard to make a nice life for himself. I'm not friends with him (he dissed me several years/decades ago), I know he occasionally checks this site and in the years to come, maybe he'll come forward. He was a true Wel-metter, in the best sense of the word, a very nice, well-liked and funny guy, from a nice, well-liked and funny family.

As far as St. Louis (thanks for asking), I had a vision one day on my porch in St. Thomas (where I was working as a reporter), as I was staring out at Puerto Rico, trying to count the iguanas on the tree tops in my backyard (jungle). And this voice directed me to Wentzville, Wentzville, Wentzville... So I wrote it down (Wentzville). I didn't know it at the time, had never heard of Wentzville, but that's where Chuck Berry lived, about 25 miles outside of St. Louie. Some would've called it sunstroke, I thought Buddy Holly and Jimi where channeling me from R 'n' R heaven. When I got there (about two weeks later) I was surprised to find Chuck living on the next farm over, a few hundred yards down the road... my years there were some of the best times of my life... especially helping to raise the kids... Wonderful years passed, then the saintly woman and children I was living with got the farm, the animals, the buildings, the vehicles, and I got the right to remain silent. She chose wine over me... But I'm not bitter, and still love them... but the story isn't as funny after that...

As for today, I constantly hear the old, early Fogelberg refrain, "Looking For a Lady," (and remember Bodo loved Dan, too; Fogelhead is currently fighting prostate cancer), but I kind of resist offering invitations, and always turn down the ones I get... Then I remember my Hot Tuna theme song,"I'll Be Alright Someday." And count my blessings over the piano. I'm happy, nice and actually enjoy being insane... And the fun half of my extended family lives near here, and I really enjoy them, especially my 10 year-old cousin Dylan...

As for making a living, I write stories occasionally, have a little business, sometimes (less and less) do work for my family's metal business.

Sorry I couldn't give up the shooter (loyalty is another of my shortcomings)...

Thanks for writing, best to you and yours (don't forget to make your husband rake some leaves; it's a sign of love & devotion). Hope to see ya'all at a reunion when we get older (I'm in NYC at least twice a year)... more later...
Love always, Scott E.

PS- Hey Andy Mehlman!!! Hello to you too... Hope all's well!!!

Last edited by Scott Engelhard; 11-15-2004 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:18 AM   #6
Michael Ohlstein

Leslie Rabinowitz worked at camp in 1977 and then went to college at SUNY Binghamton. She graduated in spring 1981 and moved to Italy, where she married a long time sweatheart.

The last time we spoke was in 1986. She seemed happy...

Spider
Michael Ohlstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 12:29 PM   #7
Michael Ohlstein

Same Leslie. Might have been '82 or '83 when she finished school.
I smoked way too much pot during those years to get that one exactly right.

She was thin as a rail and freakishly strong....
Old 11-16-2004, 11:16 PM   #8
Scott Engelhard

Spider and Marjorie:

It's exciting to reconnect... and it's exciting when your brain performs in a way that you'd never expect. It’s a great rush when your synapses fire unexpectedly, and you surprise yourself with your abilities. I wrote some stupid things about Lisa Mendelowitz when I first discovered this site... and then I immediately called her and apologized, explaining I was only trying to make her laugh. And made sure she knows that I love her, and her feelings are important to me. And if I was on the phone with Ray Charles, and Lisa beeped in, I would tell Ray (May He Rest in Peace) that I'd have to call him back. You know what I mean...?

------

As for Spidy's Leslie... of course she's the same person... Leslie Rabinowitz lived in Larchmont. Unfortunately, I never got to find out exactly how strong she was; just that she was super engaging, and spoke her mind, and was usually right... She was a very impressive girl, and I'd love to run into her in Italy or anywhere...

SPIDER BABY: I know you did a lot of work on this site and everyone owes you a huge debt of gratitude. You’re a true Brother, Bro, and I appreciate your recollections, facts, fotos and hard work. Hope to meet or re-meet you sometime. This has been a load of fun, and a great service to all who share some of our most meaningful memories. Did you get your nickname by being a good infielder (like Charlie Cohen, Dave Frankel, Steve Fox), or what???

MARJORIE: Thanks in advance... maybe I could possibly get you, your husband, kid(s) into some music show in your area... Call or have your husband call if you'd like (or I could remind you how to start a fire with one match, if you guys have forgotten...)

Love, Scott E.
ScottEngelhard@aol.com
Thanks again... I'm exhausted...

PS - I'm not really insane, I was kind of exaggerating...

Last edited by Scott Engelhard; 11-17-2004 at 10:41 PM.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:21 AM   #9
marjorie

Thumbs up Delete accomplished

OK It's deleted. I feel terrible. I never meant to "out" him. I thought that anyone who recognizes his nick name would already know (as i did deep in my hypocampus) that he was the guy (we were 15 years old!) Also, it was a pure accident. He wasn't to blame. Its just one of those events that our WT will never forget, I guess. But I appreciate you concern and its out.

I don't think Leslie injured her eye in that incident. But I do remember an eye injury...Maybe it was at camp. I liked her a lot too. She was in my bunk in one of those units. The year we did "Guys & Dolls"...

I didn't know my e-mail isn't available. I'll try to change that. My phone number isunlisted cause of the shrink thing. How did you get the Dorsky? Did I put that in somewhere?
Old 11-17-2004, 03:09 PM   #10
Michael Ohlstein

I just tried Leslie's parents phone number, but it's no longer them.....
Old 11-17-2004, 10:50 PM   #11
Scott Engelhard

Cropsie still gives me the willies... I can't sleep...

Marjorie, don't feel terrible... you're super duper...

Is is true that Cropsie moved to Massachusetts? I think I read that somewhere... I'd be real careful passing through Pittsfield, or anywhere near Tanglewood... Hope y'all have nice Thanksgivings and holidays...
Love, Scott E.

Last edited by Scott Engelhard; 11-17-2004 at 11:04 PM.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:17 PM   #12
marjorie

Question The Green Gaboo?

Speaking of "scary" characters. I remember in unit I, 1970 or 71, there was this scary guy called the green gaboo. The counselors did a whole story involving green paint...Anyone remember this?
Old 11-23-2004, 01:02 PM   #13
MichelleHelfeld

I was in unit 1 in 1971 or 72 and definately remember that...green footprints throughout the bunk and unit!!!!I remember some kids getting really scared but can't remember the story behind it.
MichelleHelfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 08:45 PM   #14
marjorie

Hey Michelle - who were your counselors in Unit 1? Could we have been in the same bunk? I remember mine were Andie & Gladys.
Old 12-03-2004, 08:57 PM   #15
MichelleHelfeld

I don't remember my counselors but I know I was with Andrea Portnoy,Brandi Weill,Mandy Barker,Jane and Fran.I believe the bunk was the first on the right as you enter unit one but I could be wrong.I have some pictures..I'll try to post them soon.
MichelleHelfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 01:55 AM   #16
cheri

WT #1 - 1965

Hi Andi and Eliott,

Hard to believe 40 years later. Yes, WT with Larry as director. how can we forget Larry and the bus driver being arrested in Iowa because the bus was overweight!! Reporters came and they gave them the sob story of underpriveleged city kids from NY on a camping trip. We jumped bail and fled in the night to find ourselves in Omaha and in the Omaha World Herald newspaper..

I remember the ladies bathroom at the bottom of the grand canyon... the mexican food in New Mexico, the flash flood and the motel, trips to the ER in Flagstaff.

I hope to come to the reunion this year at camp. Maybe the steps we built to Pioneer Hill are still there!!

I had dinner with Cooky Adelman last night and that's how I found out about this website. It's great!

Andi - I think you came to my sweet 16.
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 05:20 AM   #17
Elliott Masie

Cheri

Hi Cheri..

So awesome to see your post on the Board.

I still have vivid memories of the night that we "snuck" out of Iowa to avoid the overweight bus police. Years later, whenever I visit Iowa, I have this slight sense that there is a warrent for all of us on the books for being a "fat bus"

Many years later, I was a Western Trip Director in 1976, for one of the last trips that Wel-Met ran. It was cool to do that experience all over again.

Living in Saratoga Springs, NY and doing lots of things .. from running a business in distance learning to owning some racehorses (www.masie.ccm)

What are you up to..

Elliott
Elliott Masie
Elliott Masie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 01:09 PM   #18
cheri

Western Trip #1 - 1965

Hi Elliott,

That must have been incredible going back as a trip director soo many years later. I read the posting by one of your campers -- and it sounds like you were great as a director. I hope Andi comes with her photo album, I think the only photo I have is one on a horse when we went horse back riding in New Mexico or Arizona. Living in California, we took car trips with our kids to the Grand Canyon, Bryce and Zion. But they didn't get to stay on the Navajo reservation and slip under the window rock. Our daughter and her family lived in Colorado Springs for several years, and she had a view of Pike's Peak from her window. They now are back in California. I always wanted to go back to Cripple Creek but never made it.
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote