Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums  

Go Back   Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums > Current Memories Forum
Memories Forum Home Quick User Guide Register Wel-Met Photos Find Other Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2004, 02:27 PM   #1
Steve Bandel

Next Thurs. is 7/1 ... where do I get the bus??

All my friend's kids are packing up for camp. Steve Garfinkel's sons are going to the former Bronx House camp...Phil and Seth's daughters are off to somewhere in Connecticut and other non W-M friends are packing their kids off to other various locations.

Well it's Friday afternoon, I'm in the office, I'm surfing the WM site and I've just decided to take the summer off !!

It's 7/1 next Thursday, so, can somebody tell me if the bus is leaving from Frances Lewis Blvd. this year or is it 50 Madison Ave ... 'cause I'm on it and I'm calling top bunk. Who's with me??
Steve Bandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 12:21 PM   #2
KenSapon
Super Site Supporter

Bus is now an airplane to any named destination of your choice:
[ ] Come out and stay with us
[ ] Mountains of Colorado
[ ] Beaches of California, Washington, or Oregon.
[ ] More suggestons...

Just came back from one week at the RitzCarlton at Beaver Creek Colorado-not Wel-Met but if add all our faces would be heaven.

We'll if you insist and can get Bob P. to drive again put my name under yours!

Your Friend
Ken
KenSapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 10:14 PM   #3
Michael Ohlstein

Bermuda is really nice this time of year....

A long Wel-Met weekend?

Spider
Michael Ohlstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 10:39 AM   #4
Steve Sturm

Western Trip

Backpacking the Teton Crest Trail, Grand Tetons, WY July 10-16th. Bring bear repellant, food, etc..

Interested??

Steve
Steve Sturm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 05:05 PM   #5
David Fried

Hi Guys,
Just came back from a weeklong fishing trip to far northern Canada, very Wel-Met like. It starts and ends with a 26-hour ride to and from a fishing camp on Reindeer Lake, Manitoba.

I drew the 1am-5am drive shift, so I cranked up the tunes, what else but 3-16-73 , my first dead show added some Rads and, sang roll me over Yankee solider. In honor of Bob P of course. The only thing missing was some young wel-met co-ed to make out with.

Our plan was to float plane into a campsite on the shore of the north end of the lake but it was still frozen. We went to plan b and stayed the south end at a fishing camp in a cabin. It was just like unit three or four, bunk beds and a communal bath/shower. We cooked a shore lunch of Northern Pike or Lake Trout each day. I used my wel-met open fire cooking skills and it was just like riding a bike. We packed all our food in coolers and cooked all the other meals wel-met style on an open fire. I wanted to introduce Rocky Mountain Toast, but we didn't have any spongy white bread.

Spider we have to go back, the fishing was amazing, caught a 42" Northern and a 14lb lake trout. Here are a few photos and I will have to post some more as soon as I get a chance.

But all you guys were in my thoughts as I stared into the fire.

david
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fisherman2.jpg (4.6 KB, 235 views)

Last edited by David Fried; 07-03-2004 at 05:20 PM.
David Fried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 06:28 PM   #6
Michael Ohlstein

Labrador Canada, 1999
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trout.jpg (10.1 KB, 231 views)
Old 07-17-2004, 01:22 PM   #7
debra hochman

I missed the bus from Francis Lewis, but my sister just from this great website. Did I miss the reunion too? I read some of the old posts...wow...do you remember when we saw Aztec Two Step on Christmas Eve? Anyone remember what they said when they came out? I think we should have a reunion at the old Worlds Fair like we used to at the top of the globe. So where's everyone?
debra hochman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 12:11 AM   #8
Michael Ohlstein

Was that at SUNY Purchase?
Old 07-19-2004, 07:08 AM   #9
debra hochman

aztec two step

It was Christmas Eve at My Father's Place. I'll never forget, their first line to the audience was "Hello Jews", Does anyone else remember this as well? I'm pretty sure Steve was there.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:27 AM   #10
Michael Ohlstein

Now I remember.....

Good one. The brain cell that was supposed to hold that particular memory seems to be malfunctioning.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:02 PM   #11
Steve Bandel

Was aztec 2 step xmas eve?? I remember hanging out by the watchtower and dont recall it being very cold. I know a lot of us went and that it was 1976, cause I had just transferred from Suny Buffalo to Wisconsin.

Anyone recall who else was there??
Old 07-19-2004, 08:31 PM   #12
debra hochman

I don't remember who else was there either. Spider and Steve, do you remember me? I was in Narrowsburg from 1967 forward on and off until 72 I believe because I remember going to Mark's bar mitsvah and Shari from Great Neck was another camper. I remember playing a lot of spin the bottle during those years in camp during raids and song wars which i still think is neat game. I had a counselor in Welmet named Alice I belShorieve in Unit 5 in Barryville in the mid-seventies and then I was in Unit 5 or Pioneers or both with a group that included Jackie Manchar and girl with the best voice I've ever heard in my life -- maybe that was Wendy and Dana and Marcie, that introduced my ex to his present wife and I know she's a lawyer as well in New York City. I remember Richie Gold from Valley Stream. And then while my group went on Western Trip, my uncle got me a job as a babysitter to one of the directors' mother who had Alzheimer's and I had the honor,joy, distinction,fun of working with the 4 guys from Flatbush --Bruce, Steve, Ronnie and Glen, Phil and Seth Myones (sp?) and Brad, who had been my counselor the year before and that year my friend and the other babysitters -- wild women like Patti Kennedy and Deena and my roommate Nancy who had to put up with me. Mostly what I remember about that summer was hanging out with Glenn and being introduced by him to Van Morrison and Moondance and hanging out with all you guys playing guitar. I don't think I would have survived high school and the school years without you all. Thank you for helping me survive those years. Does any one else remember going to hear Jimmy Carter speak in Brooklyn? That was kewl.
Shortly after that I went to Europe and then to Israel for almost 4 years so I sort of lost track with everyone. I'd love to hear if anyone else thinks that the woods behind the bunks in Barryville had a smell that hasn't been replicated in any other part of the world
Old 07-20-2004, 12:16 PM   #13
Michael Ohlstein

I remember meeting you, and I was definitely at that concert.

The girl with the voice was Wendy Gibofsky, and she and I have been in touch since we met in 1977. That year I was a consoler in unit 5, for my old bunk (95). Wendy was living in a tent in unit five and was a baby sitter I think.

On our first day there, we were having a staff orientation meeting out in the unit. In the middle of the meeting, we started to hear singing coming from the direction of the showers. We stopped the meeting and all wandered over that way to listen.

When Wendy finally emerged from the shower she was greeted with a standing ovation.

She currently teaches kids to sing and dance in Queens.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:13 PM   #14
Steve Bandel

Spider you do have some memory. I believe Wendy was the unit clerk in Unit 2 when Garf and I were counselors there in '77. Yes Debbie, I remember you. Jacki Mancher and I just emailed each other recently. She's living in Katonah with her husband and two children
Old 07-20-2004, 04:10 PM   #15
Michael Ohlstein

Jacki's sister Charman was in unit five with me in 1971, and I think that we also went to Hebrew school together.

Or did I dream that.......
Old 07-24-2004, 02:48 PM   #16
debra hochman

spider, i'm sure i was in unit 5 with jacky. do you remember other people or events from that summer? I still have mosquito bite scars from that summer (and ever other summer for that matter) but beyond.....I love that story about Wendy!! I'd like to send my kids to study with her, please send her my warmest regards.
Old 07-24-2004, 04:00 PM   #17
Steve Alter

Deb,

I believe the Steve at the Aztec two Step concert was me. Last week I was with Bruce, one of the Flatbush guys you mentioned, and your name came up.

Steve Alter
Steve Alter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 04:17 PM   #18
rgrubman

Deb,

I was in Unit 5 and Pioneers the same time you were...I remember all people you mentioned...Jackie, Wendy, Rich Gold...
I emailed back forth with Kenny Ricken about a year ago (he is still in touch with Rich Gold)...I was called Grubby back then. I hung out with a guy called Turk who was the unit comedian.
rgrubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 11:15 AM   #19
debra hochman

It was definately Steve Alter!! What have you been up to? How is Bruce and the other Canarsie boys? I went to your old hood a few years back because I was teaching in Crown Heights, it just ain't the same without you. Do I remember that you are a phycologist? I'm living in Riverdale, boy if anyone ever told me I'd be living in the Bronx and I'd be as happy as I am, I'd laugh out loud, especially after being in New York City for 20 years off and on, but mostly on.

And I do remember you as well Grubby....how are you? I know I have pictures from these years which I will try to locate while I'm unpacking.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:45 AM   #20
Steve Alter

Hey Deb...

Actually- I just hung with the Brooklyn boys- I was from Wrong Island.

Now, I am a psychologist, happily living and practicing in one of the other outer boroughs. (Forest Hills, Queens).

Please search for pictures and send.

steve
Steve Alter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 03:27 PM   #21
debra hochman

I'm from Huntington if you remember and I'm actually married to a psychologist who practices primarily in Bergen County, we have two small children -- ages 5 and 2 and the 5 year old is going to a YMHA day camp. I'm just starting to think about his future camp life. I have a friend who would really like me to send them to Ramah because it has a "direction" and I'm considering it because Welmet only exists in our minds and because I've noticed a zeal similar to our own in adults that I've met that have gone there. Any thoughts from the website?
Old 07-27-2004, 11:47 AM   #22
Siehs

Send a message via AIM to Siehs
My kids go to Camp Kinder Ring in Hopewell Junction NY, 845-221-9564. It has a real we-met feel. It's associated with Workmens Circle, so the kids do some jewish culture stuff. I've attached the URL - check out the summer pictures.
www.campkr.com
msiehs@hotmail.com
Siehs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 01:22 PM   #23
Suzi Langer

My daughter also goes to Camp Kinder Ring...infact she is in the same bunk as Mike Siehs daughters! Its nice that we get to see each other on visiting day. I agree.....this camp has a Wel-Met feel to it...rather woodsy and rugged. I t doesn't cost about $400 dollars anymore (is that what our parents paid?) but is still a lot more reasonable than other camps these days! My daughters been going for six years and feels she will begin to work at camp next summer. So....check it out!
Suzi Langer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 07:43 PM   #24
JACKIE MANCHER

Smile Spider - you are so funny!

I have been reading this long thread and I do feel the need to connect!!! You do have a great memory! I know you weren't in Unit 5 with me although that would have been alot of fun! I don't remember you being in Barryville. Did you really go to Hebrew School with my sister?
Forest Hills Jewish Center. Debbie - you were definitely in Unit 5 with me although I don't think you were in my bunk that year. I was definitely with Wendy. I can't believe you still speak to her - Spider. She was always very loving of you. We were always in the same bunk and went on the Western Trip together as well as High School.
Love the shower story, it is soooooo Wendy. We lost touch about 4 years ago and I know she was still living in Queens and had a little girl. I will give her a call.
My memories of you are not really at Wel-met but I know one night a bunch of us went to Coney Island and Bandel got me to go on the Cyclone (my one and only time). UGH. It was a fun night.
SPEAK TO YOU ALL SOON
JACKIE
JACKIE MANCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 11:18 PM   #25
Michael Ohlstein

Talking

Hi Jackie

I was never a Barryville camper.... but FHJC for years. Please send my regards to your sister.

I wound up in Binghamton for quite a few years and saw Wendy often. Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays in 1980 I would hear her warming her voice up as she waited at the bus stop which happened to be outside of my apartment.

She's still in Queens. We had lunch at Lennys Clam Bar not too long ago.

I remember that Coney Island trip. I'm quite sure that it was the last time I was there. For a long time I had some sort of plush toy that I won that night. Knocked over the three weighted milk bottles with a softball, as I recall...

Post pictures!
Old 08-09-2004, 08:26 PM   #26
debra hochman

jungian memories

jackie, i don't think i have such a good memory but there does seem to be this collective jungian memory thing going here and it seems to bring back more and more memories. like after spider told that story about wendy, i could visualize her perfectly and your face as well is coming back to me, it's really amazing. how old are your children now? i think we should have a mini reunion with people from our years one of these days -- it seems like some of that is already going on -- where are you guys going to the concert? -- Wendy do you know, or anyone else what happened to Dana from Brooklyn? She was in Unit 5 and your Western trip as well. I also think I remember later things more clearly AND that summer I babysat this mother of one of the camp directors who had Alzheimer's instead of going on the Western trip had deep imprints into my brian.
oops..gotta go put the 2 year old to bed!!
Old 08-10-2004, 01:02 PM   #27
paid2rgu

memories

On the topic of memories fading, I recall my first summer at Barryville, I think in unit 2-3. The girls bunks were across the field, and I had a crush on a girl named Wendy: for some reason, the last name "Gibofsky" rings a bell, but I can't be sure. I must have been all of 10 or 11 years old. Other than the unrequited love, it was a great summer. That was when I first learned to play tetherball. I no longer remember the rules, which is a shame. Ga-ga, on the other hand, will stay with me forever (along with the scars on my knuckles, which I can see as I type this message).

Back to work for now.

Dave Bertan
paid2rgu is offline   Reply With Quote