Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums  

Go Back   Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums > Current Memories Forum
Memories Forum Home Quick User Guide Register Wel-Met Photos Find Other Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2004, 02:51 PM   #1
Adam Siegel

camp-out overnights

Didn't we all go on a lot of camping overnights? It seems like we had to almost every week. Were some trips more than one night? Where exactly did we go? It always felt that we were in the deep back woods miles from roads or habitations, but it couldn't have been too far (we hiked there, right?).

Just musing. It seems like most camps didn't and don't have such a get-out-of-the-bunk and eat s'mores policy. Was this a way to rusticate city kids?"

Don't get me wrong, I did like the experience a whole lot. But, I did get it out of my system, evidently (I haven't slept outside in nearly 30 years!)

Any memories/thoughts?

Adam
Adam Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 03:19 PM   #2
Michael Ohlstein

When I was in unit 4 and 5 (1970, 71) we would sometimes do double overnighters. We would sometimes have to send someone back for water or more food.

These were often planned to coincide with some of the more awful dinners.

What's better than smelling like smoke and trying not to crap for 48 hours, while carrying a 30 pound pack on your back.......
Michael Ohlstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 01:58 PM   #3
ArtBefartnickle

What's better than smelling like smoke and trying not to crap for 48 hours, while carrying a 30 pound pack on your back.......

Let's See:

Taking a crap in the Jensby Outhouse
Taking a crap in the woods and using a leaf for toilet paper (avoid Poison Ivy
Being eaten alive by misquitos between the Narrowsburg lake and some swamp behind it.
Toasting daddy long legs to freak out your vegetarian animal lovin friends
Getting caught by the trip director with a young lady in Mesa Verde in your tent getting it on during a rain storm
Waking up in the morning after an overnight with bites, dew, bad breath and really having to take a piss.
Being the counselor for the youngest bunk in camp and asking them to get wood after handling the big ass axe. Cherry, where are you.
having them come back with twigs and knowing youre gonna have to do the manly thing and get wood, cook the brats dinner and clean up for them....The only compensation was that Jane was your co-counselor...you were so beautiful!
Use narrowsburgs unit 5's toilets at night fighting off the bugs attracted by the lights, and the vermin crawling around.

Hell, you asked!
ArtBefartnickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 02:07 PM   #4
ArtBefartnickle

Last edited by ArtBefartnickle; 12-15-2004 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:07 PM   #5
ArtBefartnickle

Let's See:

Taking a crap in the Jensby Outhouse
Taking a crap in the woods and using a leaf for toilet paper (avoid Poison Ivy
Being eaten alive by misquitos between the Narrowsburg lake and some swamp behind it.
Toasting daddy long legs to freak out your vegetarian animal lovin friends
Getting caught by the trip director with a young lady in Mesa Verde in your tent getting it on during a rain storm
Waking up in the morning after an overnight with bites, dew, bad breath and really having to take a piss.
Being the counselor for the youngest bunk in camp and asking them to get wood after handling the big ass axe. Cherry, where are you.
having them come back with twigs and knowing youre gonna have to do the manly thing and get wood, cook the brats dinner and clean up for them....The only compensation was that Jane was your co-counselor...you were so beautiful!
Use narrowsburgs unit 5's toilets at night fighting off the bugs attracted by the lights, and the vermin crawling around.

Hell, you asked!
Old 12-15-2004, 04:15 PM   #6
Steve Sturm

Talking

Running away from your Dutch counselor in the Narrowsburg woods, and the poor guy wandering around lost in the woods for 6 hrs trying to find his way back.
Steve Sturm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 04:30 PM   #7
Michael Ohlstein

Oh yeah......

Willam
Michael Ohlstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 06:45 PM   #8
David Fried

Having your name come up on the work wheel for Peach Basket duty before a Muli day co ed sleep out. Then being one of the two lucky campers who had to get up early and walk to the cook out shack and back with breakfast.

Then there was tying your counselor to a tree in the round up area
David Fried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 01:39 PM   #9
Adam Siegel

Wow, you guys have gone seriously off topic. I was hoping to hear more stories/experiences relating to Wel-Met camp-outs, not some highly competitive kvetch-fest (with lots of mentions of "crap").

Anybody?
Old 12-16-2004, 04:05 PM   #10
ArtBefartnickle

I'm sorry, and you are right, WM was not for some kind of kids who had everything in life handed to them. The idea of sleeping out in the woods, making your own fire and cooking your own food was intended for the less noble of us who would one day be homeless and live in a cardboard box under the e train. Now that bush is again president running up massive deficits, trashing Social Security, and generally redistributing the wealth of the nation from the middle class to the elite, we might find that training to be all the more worth while. While you and yours chomp down on smores over the gas powered fireplace, we will be prepared for the future. A crap in the woods is truly a relieving experience 24 or 48 hours, who cares! Try sleeping outside again. It may be cathartic.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:43 PM   #11
Adam Siegel

Huh?
Old 12-17-2004, 07:44 AM   #12
Scott

Hey Artie

Nice Response!!!!! I never knew that WM made you such a Philosopher. I am truley impressed. I guess it was the girl in the tent in Mesa Verde that did it. Or maybe the outhouse at Jensby's.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 04:31 PM   #13
ArtBefartnickle

Scotty Cohen, you should know better and you also know who the girl was as you were on the trip with me (1970 Trip 5) Let's say it was Glenn's girlfriend. Art Befartnickle is my nom de plume. Art actually was Richard "Libby" Lebost for narrowsburg kitchen fame.

I have you in a picture at Mesa Verde admiring the wonderful ruins. You and the guys spent to much time in the Kiva smoking Peyote and drinking Peyote tea to remember to much. Who was you counselor, Judy? Richie or Mark? Maybe you recall that night after the Indians did the rain dance and it poured so hard that the tents began to float away. So much for not believing! Mal went tent to tent to tell us to get back on the bus and we spent the night in a laundrymat drying all our stuff. I though I was going to be sent home with S P as he caught me fooling around when he pulled back that tent flap.

Just another hint; When we got to St Louis and played hardball the baseball team I pitched for the Wel Met boys, As I ecall we lost 5-3.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:38 AM   #14
Scott

Ok So I can't figure out who Art is but westerntripper? Any clues? My counselor was Judy and I will go to the grave with my Judy and Mindy story.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:49 AM   #15
ArtBefartnickle

Westerntripper, The only one who knew the “babes” on that trip would have been Sherry Freidman. Scott, Your buddies Glenn and Neal might make claims but Sherry was in every tent from Silver Lake to Colo and back. Could you put together 4 counselors who were more different but seemed to get along? I’m taking my Richie and Mark story to the grave as well. I think I ran into you once when I went to Barryville to pick up something in 71. You and Cunningham were working in the kitchen. You must have been the quintessential kitchen boy. I did work in the kitchen in 73 for a few weeks before regular camp began waiting on the Sr. Citizens in SilverLake. I think Peter Goldberg called me up and told me to stop hanging around at home after college ended in mid May and until camp started in Late June. That was one of the better moves of the year for me. So many wonderful people did I get to know; Benny Wax (whose head will be forever engraved on the top of that 1947 International pick up truck when he taught me how to drive a clutch), Mitch Dicker (Overloadus Derilictodus), and to many others to mention. To bad Klienman ran me off but I had reached the end of the line and had to move on in 73.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:16 AM   #16
Scott

Artie you are right about Sherry. She was alot of fun. Coach spent the one summer in the barryville kitchen with me and Hershbain. Richie and Mark were good friends. they went to Hollywood and wrote TV shows for a while. I lost track of them many years ago. Mindy became head of the Brooklyn Childrens Museum and then I lost track of her. Mal went to chuck some wood somewhere and Karlton I heard became a laywer but I don't think that one jives. As for Judy I have no clue. So I still don't have a clue. I am going over this in my head.
Old 12-24-2004, 07:45 AM   #17
Scott

ok tripper the fourth counselor was Judy and the albino guy was Karlton Davis. So you are close.

So maybe it's time to reveal yourself to the world.
Old 12-25-2004, 08:33 AM   #18
Scott

OK so don't reveal yourself. No sweat. Life will continue to go on.
Happy New Year
Old 12-27-2004, 10:59 AM   #19
ArtBefartnickle

Hey, Westerntripper, I don't even really know who ArtBefartnicle is! I've spent most of my life trying to do so, with limited results. How I ended up at WM is pure serendipity. In the 60's my father, who had helped invent and patent a program for spooling thread at the advent of the computer controlled devices, invested all our family money in a tape cartridge factory that went under when cassettes came out. We went from wealthy to poor in a few months. It left the old guy a broken man who worked two jobs for the rest of his life to provide for his faily in a lifestyle my sister had become acustom to. One of my "poorer" cousins went to WM and I was packed off there in 65 (unit 2). No more Sands Beach Club Cabanas for us. The only thing I had experienced from a camp basis was HANC - Hebrew Academy of Nassau County, where they spent the summer trying to convince me to become a Jr Zionist in my little blue shorts and cap singing the national anthem and the Hatikva during the flag raising ceremony. I really did not like WM that summer but was to ashamed to tell my parents who spent there hard earned money to send me there. Like a form of punishment I was sent again in 68 into unit 5 (Bill Dropkin was my counselor). This time I had a really good time. I skipped pioneers the next year and went on an interview to "determine" if I had the "Right Stuff" for the western trip. I had to go to 55 Madison avenue and I think that Lou Levitt interviewed me and determined, Yes, I did Have the Right Stuff. If you look at all the posts here you find a common theme; those who went on the WT had the best experience and association with the camp by probably working there after, as I did. Like the Progidal son returning, although I had lost contact with most of the WM friends they were forever in my heart, like many of my college friends, of which I married one. I guess being jammed together for 5 or 6 weeks when you are young imprints you like geese. I swear that I still dream about camp after all these years.

I have found many of the posts of the people I had known to be quite inspiring. Many went on to do things with their lives that are in the interest of others-maybe that was the selfless goal of WM, to inspire others to make the personal sacrifice of making the world a better place. As for me, I haven't followed that path, except for my two children and, maybe emparting two people with social values is enough...kind of like making the world a better place, one person at a time. As for me, I have had moderate success in business but invested a large sum of money in 1999 in the NASDAQ in Internet companies and will be working the rest of my life to settle up that score. It may be a Befartnickle family curse.

You can write to me at Stoneygate@netscape.Net
Old 12-29-2004, 01:56 PM   #20
ArtBefartnickle

Andy (with the white hat), Mike Levine with the helmet and for the life of me, I can;t remember his name but his face is as clear as day, also; part time in the tent was Sherry ( but I don't think she was legally assigned) .

Hey, I knew no one either and was apprehensive when the big bus picked me up at Madison. I recall Marc Cunningham as he was like 6'5" and I was already 6'2".

Also Carlton as the Admin on the trip and I worked for him in SL kitchen for 4 weeks waiting on the Seniors (you have a little bit of the instant Milk?---I think it was Kosher).

We had a couple of get togethers after the trip one was to Central Park Zoo another was Sherry's house in hartsdale, you have a good memory.

We should all get together this summer at Narrowsburg. I have been in touch with about 6 people from the trip over the last few years. I even went to college with Neal Weiss; what a thrill!

I won't likely be able to guess who you are. I am taking a shot at Fred!
Old 12-29-2004, 05:39 PM   #21
Rob Cohn

I was on Western Trip 5 with you guys. We all fell asleep in Washington at the Bureau of Indian Affairs during a lecture by some BIA official and Mal was all embarassed. When we had that flood I thought we stayed at the dorm rooms at SouthWest Missouri State. We also went water skiing once -believe it or not- where there was this pole sticking out of the side of the boat to hold on to. Mrs Jensby killed the chicken and the corn crib was for making out- not me and Sherry but with someone else. Steak dinner after the climb back up the Grand Canyon. Gunnison Colorado, Garden of the Gods, Mesa Verde, the indian reservation, Santa Fe, Horseback riding somewhere. Marc was my counselor. One guy in my tent was an Art who was going out with Roberta Riportella. It was great to see her at the 2003 reunion at Narrowsburg. The song I remember from the trip was james taylor's Country Road sung by I think her name was Susan. I can see the girl with those hazel eyes in one of the posted pictures now but no name comes to mind. Lost my pictures of the trip temporarily. Had an incredible comming of age on that trip. I was pretty shy before that. Started letting my hair grow on that trip and became a nice guy. Started to shave. Loved every minute of that trip. So my identity can be revealed, if you go to the picture of WT 5 "back at Silver Lake" I am the taller guy in the back row just to the right of the guy with the white hard hat. Rob Best Wishes
Rob Cohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 07:24 PM   #22
Rob Cohn

Westerntripper--great to be talking to you again. Of course I remember you. i think that Art was in our tent and you and me and another guy that was a little chubby and had frizzy hair ( didn't we all) and he had some moldy loco weed picked from the side of the road. But I was anti drug then You were friendly and quietly funny. I am sure if you said your name it would blast out of my brain cells where the name has lay hidden all these many years. We put the tent up together. I have a few pictures of you if I can only find them. I remember your sneakers I think. How are you?
Old 12-29-2004, 08:00 PM   #23
Scott

Nope they guy with the crude was Ray Hershbain. I remeber when the guys bought the hats too. It was around the same time we bought Laura Kramer a Pokey (from Gumby) stick horse because she wanted a horse of her own. I had my growth spurt during the trip and I thought my pants were shrinking in the laundry. As for spending money I found a way to make some cash thought small amounts on the trip. The first week I got stuck with laundry duty. I had no idea how to do laundry and some lady in the laundrymat tough me how to do it. It turned into a cash job as Mal would drop me with money to get rolls of changes for the machines. He would never ask for any change so each time we did laundry I would pocket about $20 which helped support me during the entire trip. Easy moeny for a couple of hours watching the laundry spin. The only problem was one night at laundry we we in a strip mall and outside a supermarket were bags of grass seed that we were sitting on. We put our feet up against the supermarket window and down it came. Geez I thought Mal was goingto blow a gasket when they asked him who was going to replace the window. He calmly said not me and walked away.

Last edited by Scott; 12-29-2004 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:01 PM   #24
Rob Cohn

Paul -- that is it Paul --aha!! Art in our tent was the guy that is to the right of me in the group picture. He was a cool guy. He had Roberta as a girlfiend and he had a 57 T bird that he took me for a ride in I think after the Sherry's house reunion. Definitely the Martin and Rossi guy was bugging you. I don't remember a 6 2'' guy Artbefartnickle. There was a really tall big guy at the 2003 reunion that Roberta said was on our trip but I couldn't find him. Thinking back to it, there were a lot of nice and inspiring girls on our trip. I wish I could bring back more memories into my mind.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:11 PM   #25
Scott

Rob that was me at the reunion that saw Roberta. We had some good laughs about the trip at the reunion. Back at the trip I was only about 5'7" and grew alot during the six weeks of fresh air. I am now 6'2". It may have been the fresh air or maybe the weed that Jensby's grandson had us harvest on the government farm down the road from his farm. The bid guy on the trip was Marc Cunningham. He played high school football and was about 6'5" at the time of the trip. He was in a tent with me and Elliot nd I think Neal. I remember at Jensby's farm that Elliot slept outside the tent and one tof the pigs got loose and Elliot opened his eyes to see a pig's snout in his face.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:26 PM   #26
Rob Cohn

Scott sorry I missed you. I know I remember stuffing my wet sleeping bag into a dryer, but other than that I have no idea how any of my clothes got cleaned. I didn't know about that window. I tried to kind of shop lift a corn cob pipe in santa fe but I got caught. Also in santa fe went into a restauant and ate a mouth full of some green chile hot salsa stuff and thought I was going to die. The girl with the eyes I remember is in the picture where there is a pyramid pile of kids and she is on the left in a white peasant blouse. Anyone remember her name?
Old 12-30-2004, 09:55 AM   #27
ArtBefartnickle

The girl in the white blouse in the Tee Pee Picture is Patty Herman from somewhere in Great neck - Community Drive and she was friends with Alice Weisel also, same place. I know that I stopped by and saw them a couple of times in the years after.

The song I remember from the trip was I'm Your Captain, I'm Your Captain, blah bhah. I think it somehow signified the bus driver. Hey, I'm not the Art that annoyed you! That was some other Art! Otherwise, how can I live with myself.

There were more Cohn's/Cohen's on that trip then I recall. Marc was another Cohen. As far as that TV show we were in the audience, I recall they had a band on that could play "anything" and to prove it they asked someone from the audience to stump them and it was one of the girls from our trip. It was a big set up as they had secretly asked her to say "Wipeout" which she complied with and they played it. I never through much of live TV after that.

I must have been out cold as I do not even remember Washington. Hey, who was the girl who sat on the cactus when we climbed that mountain in Utah? I think Scott had to pull the needles out with his teeth from her ass.

BTW, Hershbain is in the group picture to the far left and Scotty, youre on the far right in the blue hat. As far as who sung the song country road, I am pretty sure that it was Suzanne Davis. It was only after many years and much self examination that I realized how beautiful she really was. The last time I saw her was at her house in 71 or 72. We went to see Easy Rider. She is kneeling in front of Andy in the blue shirt/White Hat. The other guy in my tent I think was named Marc. Also, in the picture in front row in SMS shirt. I don;t remember sleeping in the dorm either. But, I do recall going horse back riding in Oklahomma and when the horses saw the barn the broke out of their meander and started a full sprint with 45 of us hanging on for dear life.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:27 PM   #28
Rob Cohn

I was also hanging on to the horse for dear life. Speaking of animals, I also remember going to a livestock auction. Until you guys mentioned the TV show I had forgotten it, but I now can see the applause sign lighting up. In Nashville I also wandered around a recording studio looking for a bathroom but I was not discovered. Yes Suzanne Davis.

But I need some information on what I can't remember. I have absolutlely no recollection on how we ate meals. Did we eat in little groups? Did we cook over fires? How did we keep stuff cold? I do remember arguing with my counselor Mark- has last name may have been Finkle not to put celery in the tuna. I don't remember cleaning pots since Pioneers. I don't remember shopping for food. I also don't remember what I had my stuff in- must have been a big duffle bag. It is strange what the mind decides to store away for future use.
Old 12-31-2004, 08:50 PM   #29
Scott

Rob hope this helps you out. We did cook out most of the time. Sometimes Mal broke down and we got to go to a restaurant but nothing fancy. Imagine asking for tables for 50 people. We shopped in superamrkets and kept food fresh in big coolers with ice lots of ice. We had our clothes in backpacks which we had to share with one other person. We ate in groups headed by each of the counselors. Yes we did laundry also. I made a living on laundry. Many of the things that happened that summer 34 years ago have stuck with me since. The interview with Lou Levitt was the wrost part. Not even the rain in Mesa Verde which soaked everything got me down. The TV show was the Jim Ed Davis show. We kept laughing at the wrong parts and I remember they kept doing retakes. I also remember going through the news studio and changing the scores fo all the ball games right before the news went on the air. Ah the needles incident. I didn't use my teeth and I can't remember who either. The horses running was scary then. I thought I was on Bonanza.

I also remember that we went to a small town I think in Kansas. We went into the drug store which had a soda fountain in the front. I asked for an egg cream and got the strangest look. I showed the guy how to make one. He asked why is it called an egg cream since there was no egg in it. I didn't know then so I just shrugged. I imagined the next day a sign went up new drink sensation EGG CREAM. Or how about the guys in Sante Fe who wanted to know where the Jews kept there horns. The fight was very short. I think Mike Levine clocked a guy with the white army helemt with the peace sign on it and that ended it all.

Last edited by Scott; 12-31-2004 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:39 PM   #30
Cliff Ageloff

....but what was better than a leaky leanto and a cotton sleeping bag? ..............on the 1st night of a two day 'Ranger'?

Playing 'catch the milk' with Howard and Co. which entailed tilting your head back and drinking a warm-ish quart while extending your arm and swallowing simulataneously. Whoever had the most milk left would lose - and dire penalties (derived by consensus) would result. Only wusses lost because the object was to empty the carton whether you could actually swallow it all or not. The whole point was of course lots of belching and farting contests for hours afterwards.
Cliff Ageloff is offline   Reply With Quote