Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums  

Go Back   Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums > Current Memories Forum
Memories Forum Home Quick User Guide Register Wel-Met Photos Find Other Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2005, 06:13 PM   #31
lbarker

Jeff

Could Danny Hill jump as high as you could?

On a serious note, how is your dad and sister? What are you doing?

Larry
lbarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 06:17 PM   #32
lbarker

additionally

Do you remember Jerome "Can't jump, my knees don't bend, only touch the rim"? I think he worked in the kitchen. I also think he worked in the nursing home next to the Towers.

Sid, Jeff, Michael - Are any of you planning to come to the reunion?

Larry

Lastly,

Michael, I haven't forgotten about writing to you. I have Comcast as my internet provider. I have been having problems for weeks. I can't get on to write a long message. I get timed out because the connection is so slow.

It would be great to see you. Why don't we arrange something in the city in the next month or so. Of course, anyone is would be invited.

Larry
Old 04-15-2005, 07:14 PM   #33
Cliff Ageloff

Stern

I do recall Howard and Co. hanging out during schmooze reading aloud the Daily News and providing commentary on current news events. Often Bruce Gallop would do 'the sports' doing a pretty decent Howard Cosell imitation. We had a pretty cool thing going too, until the (in)activity 'Heavy Hangin' out with Danny Hill" was banned by Woody, that fascist pig. (hi woody!)

Yah Danny had a huge scar from something....I think he did time and missed the 60's so he grooved at WM.

And Brawer always playing the cassette version of Jerry Garcia's 1st solo album....

Good god.. it was a long time ago!

WTF ever happened to Brian Bornstein? Bob Kayin? Jay...

Last edited by Cliff Ageloff; 04-15-2005 at 07:42 PM.
Cliff Ageloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 11:07 AM   #34
Cbmaslow

Was Bob Kayen the blonde guy from Port Washington? He lived on Murray Ave. - I think it was number 40. I have no idea why I remember that. I don't think I ever wrote to him, and I'm pretty sure I never went to his house. In fact, I don't think I ever even talked to him, but for some reason I have that address stuck in my head.

Anyone have any ideas?
(Should I be asking a shrink?)
Cbmaslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 03:45 AM   #35
jsantin

Larry

Larry,

My dad and sister are fine. Bob is in florida, like everyone else's parents, with Audrey, his wife since 1988. I know he doesn't keep in touch with your mom and dad or anyone who he and my mother were friendly with. I always thought that was a shame, but its his life, or maybe his wife. hmmm.

Debbie is married and lives in Atlanta . She is happy and doing well although she has had some health issues.

I separated from my wife in September, 2001 (one of those 9/11 wake up calls) and we divorced in the beginning of 2003. I met Vicki while I was separated and we married in September, 2004. Jared, my 16 year old son, was my best man.

Tell me more about you. Your family, work etc.

Talk to you soon.
jsantin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 08:58 AM   #36
Steve Alter

To Cliff,

About Brian Bornstein, I remained good friends with him through the end of high school. He actually took my job in the Narrowburg kitchen after I was ousted, only to be canned himself several weeks later.

I lost touch with him after high school, although bumped into him at a few shows. About 15 years ago, I did have a neighbor in a building who was from Oceanside and I asked him if he knew Brian. He told me that Brian was a mega-millionaire stock broker in Texas. He always had a knack for making a lot of money.

Steve
Steve Alter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 12:49 PM   #37
Jeff Rosenberg

Stern (again)

I found this post elsewhere - the Stern timeline puts him out on a Western Trip even before we were in Unit V, I think (and he is a few years older than us) - can we argue with a Rabbi?

I was fairly friendly with Howard as a camper. We were in the same Unit 1 bunk in N'burg (bunk 11) in 1963 and then again in Unit 3 in 1965 (bunk 52.) We slept over at each other's houses in the winter a few times when we were in seventh and eighth grades. He was in N'burg Pioneers in 68 and I know he worked in the N'burg kitcher in 1970 when I was working at B'ville.
--Rabbi Doug Weber
Boulder, CO
Jeff Rosenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 04:48 PM   #38
ArtBefartnickle

The Rabbi is basically correct. I believe he went on the Western Trip as a camper in 69, when I was a camp in 71 he was in the kitchen and in 73 I believe he was a counselor in unit 5 drafted out of the kitchen due to a shortage of counselor staff. In 73 he was trying to boink my female co-counselor in unit 1, and might have even succeeded. I think Unit 1 played Unit 5 in Basketball, and I can't recall if we won but being 6'2" I remember playing against Howard who I would rate as fair at best considering his size. So, some of you unit 5 kids in 73 might very well have had to endure his counselling.

On the other hand, if you were in unit 3 in 71 I tried to run you all over with my little red truck! Now that was fun!
ArtBefartnickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 08:53 PM   #39
Jeff Rosenberg

Pictures

I just posted some pictures from 1973 and 1974 - Karen Labovsky's reunion in Sep '73 and some other camp pictures. They are attached to my Western Trip pics - in the Western Trip 1975, Trip #2 photo category.

If you want to see some Unit V folks that never came back to Pioneers (Cathy Passantini, Karen Eisenberg, Cheri Coyle, Larry Noble, Helaine Goldberg, to name a few) check out the pics. There is an AMY there, does anyone remember her last name?

Ilene - a bunch of pics of you... Jeff Antin, Sid Suss, Larry Barker, etc....

Enjoy...
Old 04-19-2005, 09:58 PM   #40
Cbmaslow

Rosie -
Could it have been Amy Cohen? For some reason that sounds familiar. I remember she was from East Meadow (totally useless information I guess, but maybe it will jog someone else's memory).

Cbmaslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 07:40 AM   #41
Jeff Rosenberg

Carey, I think you're right - that name now sounds very familiar (and it was in the "neighborhood"). You win a prize.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:11 AM   #42
lbarker

Jeff A.

I'm glad to hear that your dad and sister are well. I have extremely fond memories of your family.

I was aware of it when your mom passed, I don't remember the exact circumstances of what caused me not to send condolences then, please accept them now.

A lot of years have passed. I live in PA with my wife Lynne and two sons. Zack is 13, Luke is 9.

Hilary and her family are moving down here in the next month. Our families have become extremely close. After a long time away from Mandy, we are in contact again.

My parents are well. I don't see them too often.

You were a really close friend. I'm sorry we lost touch. It would be really nice to see you again.

Would you and your family consider coming down here for a visit? It isn't far. I would have Hilary come over also.

It's good to know your well.

P.S.

My email is still messed up. I need to reinstall my entire hard drive. This public forum is currently my only electronic wat of contacting and speaking with you.

Larry
Old 04-20-2005, 12:39 PM   #43
Scott Gollop

I was perusing the website, and after some deliberation, finally decided to join your thread. I am Bruce Gollop's older brother (it's rare that I am referred to that way), lived in the neighborhood, and hung out w/some of the same people that you guys and your older siblings hung out with. I hope all of you are planning to attend the reunion this summer. I have attended the two previous summer reunions, and had a wonderful time re-living memories, and re-conncting w/old friends and acquaintances. As a matter of fact, at the 2004 summer reunion, there were a couple of women asking me about you guys.
Scott Gollop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 12:49 PM   #44
jsantin

I remember you, Scott. In fact, to be sure, I was going to ask if you were Bruce's older brother.

How are you? Where is Delmar? Upstate?
Old 04-20-2005, 12:56 PM   #45
Scott Gollop

Hi Jeff. Delmar is a suburb of Albany. We moved to the Capital District in '87, love it here, and have been living here ever since except for a three year stint in Central NJ.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:14 PM   #46
pweill

Smile

Hi Scott, I remember you too! Where is Bruce these days? Are you both going? Are you still taller and I blonder than Bruce or did he catch up in size?

Jeff, did you get a personal email from me? I hope to hear from you regarding that email. Will you be going to the reunion?

Rosie,
Thanks for the memories via the photos. It was easier to see than the one you sent to the hotmail account.

Larry, long time no see. Will you be going to Wel met in June? What about Mandy or Hilary? Please send them my love. I was hoping to see your parents in Florida, but I am too far south and we have been too busy. Please send love to Lee and Sonny.

Has anyone seen or heard from Karen Labovsky? What about Karen Bohrer? Adina, are you reading this stuff? Where are you? Can you get a hold of the Asian hunk from Camp and ask if he can get his ass to the reunion? Can you come up too?

Cliff, I am sorry, I could swear you were in Pioneers. Must have been your spirit. I can picture you clearly walking in pioneers with Laureen Green. You always stood out and up. So in June, you can come right? There is no class to do over this time! Hee hee.

What about Sid? Will you fly from AZ? Let's get Larry, Antin, Michael, Steven, The Gollops, Thalblum and any other Bronxite to come.

Is this the first reunion at the camp itself?

Patti/Deer
pweill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 10:26 AM   #47
Cliff Ageloff

Yes - Amy Cohen was from E. Meadow.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:21 PM   #48
jsantin

Larry Barker

Hey Larry:

Been a real long time. Its great to hear from you.

In terms of how close our families were, I do believe our mothers were the best of friends and our fathers worked together for a long time.

I remember going home with you for lunch when we were still in PS 95 and sleeping over at your apt.

Where is Hillary living now before she moves to Pa? Does she have kids? Married to Rob?

We should try to set something up to get together. Where in Pa are you? In/near Philly?

Do you ever get up to NY?

Take my office number and give a call sometime. 800-640-7727.

Talk to you soon.

Jeff
Old 04-24-2005, 10:28 PM   #49
pweill

Lightbulb

Murder no more!"

No leg of bird, no side of cow.
No rack of lamb, no strip of sow.
No skin for my coat,
no cheese from a goat.
No "sunny-side up",
no milk in my cup.
No fish from the ocean,
or sheep in my lotion.
To the animals of the Earth,
a promise spanning all her girth...

I shall murder no more,
for compassion I adore.
Vegan, sparing even the bee,
that is my will, so mote it be!
Old 04-25-2005, 12:37 PM   #50
Scott Gollop

Hi Patti,
I remember you as well. I am planning to attend the reunion. I hope to arrive sometime on Friday evening, and stay for most of the weekend. I hope you plan to attend.

At last summer's reunion, I met several people who inquired about you, Sid, Larry, Richie, et al. Unfortunately, I don't remember their names.

Bruce is doing OK. He remarried a couple of years ago, has a son from his first marriage, and he and his wife, live in Bayside. And yes, I am still taller and blonder, although w/more than just a touch of gray, than Bruce.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:15 PM   #51
lbarker

Scott

I remember you well. It is good to hear about you. I am planning to attend the reunion in June. I think it will be great.

I remember your brother fondly. He was (and I would imagine still is) a truly good person.

If he chooses not to join these discussions or post to this website, could you please extend my warmest regards from me?

Thanks so much,

Larry
Old 04-26-2005, 09:27 PM   #52
lbarker

Patti

A very lovely poem. I have read some of your posts and have considered responding and getting into philosophical discussions with you. I finally decided to pull the trigger.

I believe that many of your philosophies are quite lovely. Treating all living beings as you would treat yourself is an extremely high moral goal that is both admirable and humanistic.

I stray from you somewhat in your evaluation of humankind.

It seems to me that you feel as if people are inherently bad. You mention that almost all creatures would prefer if we existed no more.

But could the wildebeast not say the same about the lion? Could the squirrel not say the same thing about the hawk? Does this make the lion and the hawk unworthy?

Human beings can be incredibly kind, generous, loving, caring and compassionate. Unfortunately, it is those among us who do not act in these manners that get all of the attention.

Call me naive, but I truly beleive in the goodness of humankind. I feel that for every act of inhumanity and depravity that there are thousands of acts of kindness and goodness. Perhaps if each of us would incorporate such acts in to our lives, the overall energy flow would move towards a more positive state.

I didn't mean to rant (or perhaps I did), but I just throw this out there as food for thought.

All my best. I hope to see you in June.

Larry
Old 04-26-2005, 10:33 PM   #53
pweill

Hi Larry, Nice to hear from you! And yes, I am going in June. I'll be visiting with my dad and then I believe, Ron Rosenberg will pick me up to go to Camp. Looking forward to seeing you! Will you be visiting Hilary? She lives in the neighborhood too, yes?

Thank you for responding. I agree with you, humans can be honest, loving, generous, compassionate, etc. I like the way you focus on the "positive and eliminate the negative," as that song goes.

I think though, that we humans are basically unconscious, and unaware.

The only animals that go to war and kill millions are human animals and ants (insects). No other being slaughters in such large numbers.

Some of our karma from all the slaughtering and eating others are: obesity, diabetes, cancers, heart disease, mad cow, water pollution (#1 reason for water pollution is killing billions of innocent animals. Their waste/blood/guts runs into the ground water), lost of rainforest and trees (#1 reason is livestock grazing), lost/erosion of topsoil (cattle grazing is the #1 reason for this), starving people (the tons of grains go to feed the livestock who naturally eat grass, could go to the starving people of the world), etc etc. I could go on...

I believe the killing has to stop. I'll start with me and what is at the end of my fork. Peace starts at the end of the fork. If someone has to kill for my food, I do not want it. I eat fruit, veggies, grains, nuts, seeds, legumes, all from the plant world.

I believe that humans can evolve to a kinder, gentler being.

This is my rant. Looking forward to speaking with you and sharing!

Love,
Patti
Old 04-26-2005, 10:34 PM   #54
pweill

Smile

Scott,

Will we be seeing Bruce in camp? I will be nice to see as many of us as possible! I hope he goes on line!
Old 04-26-2005, 11:53 PM   #55
pweill

Larry,
This was written by one of the founders of www.GentleWorld.org. Coincidently, he went to Wel-Met in the 40's or 50's. Perhaps this too can help you understand what I am trying to say...........

"There is no force powerful enough
to stem the tide of an idea whose time has come.
We can no longer, in good conscience or in good health,
continue to use animals for food.

The vegan concept is not a fad that will pass with time.
It is a necessary shift in thinking, that will lead to
a heightened empathy and concern for others.
It is the expansion of compassion, which is the single most
important step in the next evolution of humankind.

When we consider the wolf and the elephant, the shark and the ox,
the weasel and the deer, we find that it is not the size or strength of animals,
but how they obtain their food, that determines whether their nature is violent or gentle.

We humans are also animals. Therefore, it is how our food is obtained
that determines our own nature: violent or gentle.
A gentle human nature is essential if we are to evolve;
and we must evolve, if we are to survive."

~ Light
Co-founder of Gentle World
Old 04-27-2005, 09:42 AM   #56
Cliff Ageloff

Talking Eat Meat...it is good for you!

Patti:

If one examines human orthodonture and digestive enzyme components, it is clear we are designed and evolved into omnivores. Humans developed as hunters and gatherers and we remain so biologically. Wild animals have been supplanted by domestics but the animal protein chains are nearly identical. Humans need those for survival whether you think so or not. Meat, fish and poultry are all needed parts of the human diet; to argue otherwise is not based on science but on faith or philosophy. Hey, to each his/her own.

While many have political and personal philosophies that support vegan ideals, they are not borne out by science and the vast conclusions of evolutionary findings.

If you want to, start a thread on vegatarianism. Maybe that will generate some discussion.

Otherwise....

keep your dogma on a leash!
Old 04-27-2005, 06:29 PM   #57
pweill

Smile

Hi Cliff,

In reality, our digestive system is a LONG system. It is similiar to other vegetarian animals like the horse, cow, rabbit, elephant, giraffe, etc. Carnivores have short intestines. The lion, weasel, fox, and others all have very short intestines so the meat does not putrify and go rancid in the stomach. We, like all vegetarian animals, sweat through our skin. Carnivores sweat through the tongue not the skin.
Our teeth are not made to eat a live rabbit. While, a tiger, lion or other carnivore, can, with their teeth, bite through a live animal, we cannot. Carnivorous animals also have a greater concentration of hydrochloric acid in the intestines. We are similiar to other veggie eating animals and have a much smaller amount in our systems.

And it is true, we have had to survive through the ages the way we did. These days, we no longer have to hunt. Intead we can garden and grow much of what we eat. There is so much available everywhere. It is no longer an inconvenience.

I do not want to go on with this, although I could. I will cool it because the idea of humans evolving to a healthier, gentler state is a BIG button pusher. I apologise if I have offended anyone.

I hope you forgive me Cliff. We each make our own choices and live with the choices we make. In the between time, I look forward to seeing you and everyone, giving big hugs, and hope it is a great reunion!

I hope it is warm enough to swim in the great lake at Wel Met. There hasn't been much rain so I was singing "we want some, we need some, we hate to complain, but if we don't get some, we'll all go insane.........." Remember singing the rain song to avoid swimming!
Old 04-28-2005, 04:09 PM   #58
lbarker

Patti

In my humble opinion, there is no reason for you to apologize for your belief system. While many people may find it outside the "norm"; how can one not respect a philosophy that preaches kindness and love?

While I am an admitted omnivore, I find many of your other beliefs to be quite admirable. We should all strive to respect each other and to not hate.

I have great hopes on that front. While I agree with you that many people are unaware, I also feel that the vast majority of us are inherently good.

I think that we can make the world a better place by teaching our children to be better people that we are. We should teach them that success is measured by how moral and kind we are, not how many things we acquire.

At the same time, I feel that weshouldn't teach them that acquiring things is inherently bad. Nothing has to be to such an extreme.

My rant for today.

I hope you are well, I look forward to seeing you.

Larry
Old 04-28-2005, 08:51 PM   #59
pweill

Larry

Thank you for your kind words. I had no idea what a sweet, open minded person you are. It's been many years since we've seen each other and yet, we've known each other since 1963 or 4. I feel like I hardly knew you and I am looking forward to seeting you.

I agree with you, people are "inherently good". At least in my bubble. I feel blessed that my life has been surrounded by goodness as opposed to the things we see on TV or what we read in the papers.

I wish you could meet my husband. Unfortunately, he cannot come up (we have been to Wel Met to visit about 3 years ago). He is very kind and sweet. He is a miracle in my life.

Will Mandy and Hilary be visiting Wel Met? Does Hilary live in the Amalgamated?

Please send my love to your sisters and to Lee and Sonny.

Tomorrow, we are visiting with my mom. She finally joined all her friends/family in Florida.

Love to you and your family from us.

Patti/Deer Weill-Fields
Old 04-29-2005, 11:38 AM   #60
lbarker

Patti

I think a lot of the people in my life would question the sweet part. But I am trying.

As I get older, what is important to me changes more and more. I truly feel that kindness is the most important trait for people to try to practice.

As for open mindedness, I believe that I am, but my thoughts on this have less to do with openmindedness than pure common sense.

If I read your belief system correctly, it relates to kindness and gentleness. While you may take it to an extreme that is further than myself and most people are willing to go, it is eons better than moving in the other direction.

The second point comes down to judgment. Who am I (or anyone else for that matter) to judge how someone lives so long as that person is not bringing pain to others. From what I can gather, you sound extremely at peace with yourself. Good for you. More of us should be like that.

I must be getting deeper as I age.

Larry