Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums  

Go Back   Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums > Current Memories Forum
Memories Forum Home Quick User Guide Register Wel-Met Photos Find Other Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2005, 07:01 PM   #1
Alan Alterbaum

Lightbulb Western Trip 3 1969

After seeing Barbara Fischkin's post, it's time to start a thread on Western Trip 3, 1969. That was the summer of Woodstock (which ended the day we returned to camp), the landing on the moon, and the summer of rain.

So far, there have been posts from, or references to Jeanne Bassis, Bobby Brounstein, Barbara Fischkin, Steve Hazelcorn, Stewart Koenig, Liz Levenback (who was at the reunion this year, told me I looked familiar, and said she was on a Western Trip in 1967!! That was an opportunity missed!!), Doug Weber, and staff Harvey Belkin, Sioux Shapiro Belkin, and Joan Abromowitz.

Where are the rest of us????

Alan
Alan Alterbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 09:56 AM   #2
stew

Thumbs up

Alan -

I've also heard from Diane Tonick of Trip 3 who is monitoring this website as well. I enjoy the website immensely and hope someone posts some Trip 3 photos soon. I continue to rip apart my house looking for my slides.

To everyone else, please get in touch. My memories of the trip are clear (need to put some names with faces, however) and would love to catch up with everyone.

Regards,
Stew
stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 04:06 PM   #3
rabrouns

Western Trip 3 1969

Yes!! It's great we got our own thread! I tried to start one a few months back, but for some reason, it didn't materialize..So maybe somewhere in cyber space.....

By the way, this is Bobby Brounstein. I have such vivid memories of that Summer of "69. I read just about every posting on this site and it's just great to read how much Wel-Met meant to everyone.

These days, I have a fairly "interesting" existance with my family (wife, two boys and my little princess) living in Las Vegas, while I work up in Washington State at the Hanford Dept of Energy Site, doing occupational health while we decommision and dismantle defunct nuclear reactors. But before that I did the Southern California music trip, playing trumpet in a bunch of different groups. I lived in Southern California, everywhere from San Diego to Santa Barbara for many years.

Anyway, I've been looking at this site since April. My brother e-mailed me and said "check this site out." Man, when I saw that "Czecheslovokia boom see boom...." my eyes nearly popped out of my head. Hey Stew, thanks for the picture...looking good for an old fart! Ha, you should see me! It really seems like yesterday that we were watching Mrs Jensby cut that poor chicken's head off. That was in Webber, Kansas. I remember Allan Alterbaum as our bus DJ, grabbing the bus microphone and expounding on the day's events. And of course, there was Sioux Shapiro who sang and played guitar....ah "I've looked at life from both sides now." I remember making a special stop in Ann Arbour to visit U of Michigan because Sioux went to school there. Hey, I still root for the Wolverines

Barbara Fischkin, I'm going to Amazon.com as soon as I get home to Vegas (this weekend) and trying my best to get a copy of your book, "Muddy Cup." Maybe if enough people make requests, we can get it reissued! Regardless, your new book is on the front of my reading list!

hey, this thread is great. I'd love to hear from everyone. Write in and let's hear what's been goin' on for the last......well many years gone by!
rabrouns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 10:44 AM   #4
BFischkin

great

Alan, thanks for posting this. I know that Sue (Sioux) and Harvey are around somewhere, they had posted on an earlier thread. It was great to see the former Diane Tonick at my book reading (more about this at http://www.barbarafischkin.com -- and to see her newspaper from Nebraska detailing our stop at the Jensby farm. What an artifact! and to hear from Bobby. Have we gone through in a gaddadavita -- well I used to know how to spell it.. wasn't that dave from New Jersey who played it all the time? Mostly I remember how we didn't get to Woodstock. Almost. right. Liz Levenback your turn to chime in. Love B

I was on three western trips, two as staff so I hope I'm, not mixing anything up...
BFischkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 08:12 PM   #5
Diane

Thumbs up Photos From Trip 3

OK - All of you Trip 3 alumni - Here are some pictures I dug up from my scrapbook circa 1969. Hope you enjoy them and maybe you'll recognize yourself and others from our trip. How many names can you recall? If you're not sure, check the caption under the Superior Express. Please post some more photos if you have any of your own.
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 12:39 PM   #6
rabrouns

Great Photos!

Hey Diane and welcome to our own site! Great to hear from you. I saw that you posted them at 2:30 am! Heck, when one is determined......thanks for posting. I've forgotten how young we were! I recognized so many people....Mark Berg, Eddie Cohen, Fran Smith, Edna, Frank Badome and of course Stew in the picture inside the bus! I didn't see one of me, but quite frankly it may have been there but I don't think I'd recognize myself! Actually I saw me in the back row of the pictue posted in the Webber, Kansas newspaper. I think Doug Weber and I were wearing just bathing suits. Oh my God...Hannibal Missouri.

Alan...thanks again for starting this thread!.

Diane, how are you?....Bobby Brounstein at your service! I hope you remember me. I'm the guy who left for California the very next winter after our trip....I know I missed out on some great reunions. But the ones I went to were just great. Hey keep it comin'!

Oh, I heard you went to Barbara Fischkin's reading. Sounds like you still keep in touch...I'm reading EXCLUSIVE and Muddy Cup is on its way (I got it through Amazon.com)!

Bobby Brounstein
Old 07-21-2005, 07:26 PM   #7
Alan Alterbaum

I was thinking today about where I was on this date in 1969 and couldn't help but also think about how we watched the lunar landing in a trailer park, I think it was New Mexico. Looking back, that was some summer. I don't think any of us realized the impact on history that was happening and can't come up with another summer that was as historic!!

I also recognized Ilene Kesselman and Nancy Mirel in the pictures. If I can figure out how to post pictures (and I should be able to do that), I have a great picture of you, Bobby, at the Grand Canyon. I also have pictures of Stew at a reunion (it might have been in Flushing Meadow Park) and also pictures from Bobby's going away (I guess to California) party. It looks like it was in someones basement, but my memory is not that good to figure out whose. If it's worth anything, I also still have the Trip List, complete with phone numbers and addresses!

After we return from vacation next week, I'm going to figure out how to post some of these pictures I just dug up. I was into photography back then and have tons of pictures.

Hope you're all well. It's great to connect.

Alan
Old 07-22-2005, 08:08 AM   #8
rabrouns

It was Amarillo!

Hey Alan,

We were in Amarillo, at a KOA camp ground, when Neil Armstrong took that historic step onto the moon. I remember how we stuck out like sore thumbs in that town. We were SOOO different from everybody! I've spent some time in Amarillo since (in 2000/2001) and it's amazing to see how small the Country has become. You could walk around their mall (OK only one mall, Amarillo is still not NYC) and you would not be able to tell if you were in Southern California or Las Vegas or NY. They have the same stores as anywhere else: Macys, JC Penny, Ralph Loren, Cinnabons, Debbie Fields Cookies, etc, etc. OK, you will see a few guys wearing cowboy hats, but the point is, fashion is the same everywhere. We would not even be noticed if we were to take that trip today.....However, the town does have a stench of cow manure where ever you go....especially on a windy day.

Hey, have a great vacation and looking forward to your pictures!

Bobby Brounsteinl
Old 07-23-2005, 09:11 AM   #9
stew

Alva Oklahoma

A quick memory, similar to Bobby's of us "sticking out". I was walking down the street in Alva, OK with some of us. My hair, which was getting longer and more frizzy (but not close to the afro it would one day become) I suppose was representative of something far away and radical from the people of Alva. A mother walking down the street literally stepped away grabbed her daughter and hid her behind her back so she wouldn't see the hippies.

I actually have one photo framed in my living room of me on the trip. I'll scan and post soon.

Ah-- I wish I had enough hair to scare anyone today.

Stew
Old 07-23-2005, 01:27 PM   #10
Diane

memories

Sure Bobby, I remember you. I think I remember most of the kids. Probably because we had those reunions for a few years where a mere 40 or so of us would pile into someone's tiny house somewhere in the city or Nassau.

OK--who remembers going to the Illinois State Fair? I loved that whole country-style scene there. It was so foreign to me. About 7-8 years later, while living in Chicago, I dragged my husband there to show him what I had been talking about...we had a lot of fun...the hog judging contest was especially interesting!

Being a teacher, I frequently read Charlotte's Web with my students...it never fails...the scenes of Wilbur and Fern at the fair always remind me of our Trip 3 day or two at Ill. State Fair.

Other things I recall from the fair: delicious homemade fudge, corn dogs and a really big ferris wheel where you could make the carriage turn upside down, as the ferris wheel spun...Stew, I still remember yelling at you to stop it, stop it from spinning... Ha!
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 01:35 PM   #11
stew

State Fair

OK -- so it's settled. We'll have a reunion at the New York State Fair in Syracuse, NY. We got the ferris wheel, we got the corn dogs and the pigs. And only 10 minutes from my house!
Old 07-28-2005, 09:06 AM   #12
rabrouns

Illinois State Fair

Diane,

Yes I remember the Illinois State fair! I think the ride that you describe was called the Zipper. I remember getting quite ill on that ride. It went around like a clock while also rotating around its own axis. I still won't get on anything like that again (Although I still love roller coasters!).

There's a funny story involving Pete Bass at that state fair and the livestock exhibit. We were looking at the hogs, and being a bunch of city slickers, we knew NOTHING about hogs (even though we just came from the Jensbys Farm). Anyway Pete looks at this one hog and asks the owner if this hog was ready to give birth. The owner replies with a resounding, "NO!"

Still confused, Pete then asks, "but what's that coming out?"

The owner then shouts, "That's his balls!" I think Pete was in shock for the rest of the day.

This is a true story. Even once in a while I tell this story when I want to explain to farmers, ranchers , hunters (mostly hunters...I run into a lot of hunters) about the difference between city folk and middle America. It always gets a laugh!

By the way, does anybody remember Prophet Jerry in Ann Arbour, Michigan? He was some guy dressed in a blue graduation robe who walked around town trying to impress anyone who would stop and talk to him. Naturally being young, curious and visitors, we were prime meat for this guy....unfortuneately for him, none of us took him seriously. I think he was hoping Fran Smith we become a "desciple !

Bobby Brounstein
Old 07-28-2005, 11:59 AM   #13
Russell

trip 2 summer of 69

Bobby, I love your posts. Pete Bass, Fran Smith all the people that we were in camp with for for years but all split apart for the western trips. So do you remember your trip 3 passing our trip 2 somewhere out west after our bus broke down for the fourth or fifth time. I can't remember exactly where we where but your trip went ahead of us then we caught back up with you the next day or two and when we pulled out early in the am we knocked down all your tents with all of you sleeping in them. It was such a disgrace to have been the only western trip to ever have been passed by a later one. Our trip was in Los Alamos for the landing on the moon. A group of about ten of us watched on a 25" color TV in the living room of a scientist who worked at the labs there. Our Trip director Dave Pass picked up his daughter in town earlier that day and she invited us back to her house. Hope all is well with you after all these years. I got together with Joan Michaels last year in Ft. Lauderdale It was great hearing about Irene Gold and Karen Bernstein. Russell Edelstein
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 02:03 PM   #14
Rona A. Stanton

Russell: When are you coming to Miami for a visit? Rona Altwarg Stanton
Rona A. Stanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 03:50 PM   #15
rabrouns

WT 2 & 3 Meet!

Yes Russell,

I remember when our two trips met! I can't remember exactly where is was, but I think we were around Colorado. There were actually rumors on our trip that you guys went to California after the Grand Canyon and a few of us tried to convince our Director, Harvey Belkin (I don't think any relationship to Ira Belkin) and our bus driver to follow you guys all the to the coast....Fat Chance, huh?

BTW, I remember pioneers with you and a reunion at your house (your lived in Brooklyn...I think off of Kings HWY?). I remember we had a resident author who gave a little recital in your basement based on "Through the Looking Glass." Without mentioning names (cause it may prove to be a little embarrassing), it turns out it was kind of a "love" message to Irene (OK... so I mentioned names....so what!?).

I remember Joan Michaels too! Actually we used to play racket ball during SCMOOOSE time. I also remember the way she danced...boy could that girl move those hips!

Hey Russell (Ruscal?) good to hear from you. Keep it comin!

Bobby Brounstein
Old 07-29-2005, 07:48 AM   #16
stew

Bobby –

Re: I remember Joan Michaels too! Actually we used to play racket ball during SCMOOOSE time. I also remember the way she danced...boy could that girl move those hips!

I don’t know these people but I’m calling you out on two things:

1. Spelling: To my memory it was pronounced and would have been spelled: “schmooze time”.

2. I’m doubting you were playing “racquet ball” in the late 60s. I’m betting you were playing “paddle ball”.

Loved the hog story!!!

Stew

P.S. I've posted the one Western Trip photo I can find.

Last edited by stew; 07-29-2005 at 08:47 AM.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:38 AM   #17
rabrouns

Paddle Ball and Schmooze!

Stew,

I stand corrected! You are absolutely right. It was SCHMOOOZE time and the game was paddle ball. Oh boy, memory is the second thing to go....Welmet didn't have racket ball courts or an Olympic sized pool. The Yacht club consisted of a few canoes and row boats and evening drinks weren't apple martinis, brewskis, or a nice glass of cabernet....our choices were hot cocoa (laced with Kao pek tate -sp?- or so the rumors went) or bug juice. Our exercise room was volley ball, soft ball and lots of running around! But it was great! As I once e-mailed to you, we are the lucky ones. I don't think camps like Wel-Met exist anymore.

There was a movie with Bill Murrey called "Meatballs" about a camp that was quite similar to Wel-Met Life. My folks told me (when the movie first came out years ago) that they think it was filmed at either Barryville or Narrowsburg (I did go to both). Anybody out there can confirm/dispell this? I did see the movie, and while I thought there were similarities, I don't think that it was WEl-Met...Ah, it was probably all filmed in a studio!

BTW Stew....Russell and I were reminiscing about Pioneer life. But our two western trips did interface (interface?!...yes I'm kidding!). We did run into each other.

loved your flower child picture! You thinking about blowing it up and hanging it somewhere?

I noticed some names from older threads that haven't chimed in to this thread yet. If their e-mails are still current (and they're listed like the newer threads), I think I'll give it the ol' college try to get in touch with them and have them say howdy and post here too.

Be talkin' to ya!

Bobby Brounstein
Old 08-01-2005, 12:00 PM   #18
Alan Alterbaum

Back from vacation

I'm back from vacation. We had a phenominal time in the Carribean (no storms).

Bobby, It probably was Amarillo. At least I remember the trailer park piece. We stood out everywhere we went. Wish I had realized you lived in LV. I was there the first weekend in June and over the July 4th weekend as weel. No plans to return until next summer. I'll let you know beforehand and we'll get together.

Russell, I also remeber when your trip pulled down all of our tents. That was in Springfield Illinois. BTW, where were you at the reunion this year? Had a great time catching up with Mitch who now lives close to where we have a vacation town house (Saranac Lake). I'll contact him before we go up one of these times.

How do we get more of us on this thread?

Alan
Old 08-02-2005, 08:19 AM   #19
rabrouns

Hey Alan

Great to hear from you. I have been looking at the older threads on the Wel-Met page and finding the e-mail addresses of our fellow WT campers. So far I've e-mailed Frank Badome. As far as I know, he's still in Boca Raton, Florida. But so far, no response. Next is Sue (Sioux) and Harvey Belkin...Gotta try them! I've seen that they have chimed in in the older threads. Oh yeah, and there's Doug Weber. I did communicate with him a few months back. I believe he's in the process of moving (Colorado to Vermont), but hopefully, his e-mail address hasn't changed. And of course, Barbara Fischkin.....I even have a picture (which I'm trying to get on the photo gallery under Wel-Met Sitings) of me this past weekend in Las Vegas wearing my new Wel-Met shirt and both of her books with Ceasar's Palace as the background. But now, to figure out how to get them posted! Ah, therein lies the rub!

Well, that's the plan so far. If you made contact with others, keep buggin' 'em about this thread.

Good hearing from you...and Yes, by all means, let me know when you plan to be in Vegas. Cause I work in Washington State (at the moment) I would need to coordinate...I make it home every other weekend.

Bobby Brounstein
Old 08-03-2005, 01:20 PM   #20
Russell

Hey Bobby

I emailed Joan Michaels to tell her to check out the recent postings on this thread. I have a very vague recollection of Howie reading something to Irene Gold in my basement during that reunion. I still have the list of who came. I was in touch with Howie last year when he read my early postings and said he couldn't figure out why we both knew all the same people. He said it blew his mind when I mentioned Shed Berg, if you remember who he was. I didn't even know until last year that Howie was who he was. Joan told me that Howie asked Irene to come on his show years ago and she didn't want any part of it. She was too embrassed. Sorry I didn't make this last reunion I had just come back from a two week cruise to Europe and started a new job here in Boca Raton Florida. Gotta go for now. Ruscal is what Karen Bernstein, Joan and Irene used to call me for many many years Russell
Old 08-04-2005, 01:37 PM   #21
rabrouns

Ruscal

I actually remember people calling you "Ruscal." I even saw Turtle's old postings on this site and his greeting to you as that. Do you remember during pioneers and all the guys swam accross the lake to Turtle rock and we all stopped to let Turtle be the first to reach it? Where did he get that name anyway?

Yes, I do remember Shed. He was quite the out-going type wasn't he? How about our trip to Montreal where we stayed at a converted monestery and visited Expo '67 (only it was 1968?). That was quite fun.

BTW, I hope Joan doesn't take offense to my reference to her hips. But after ....well, many years, if I still remember her dancing, it's gotta be a compliment. I can see her now. Gray bell bottom slacks dancing to "Just gemme some kinda sign." I can't remember who sang it, but it went,"

"Just gemme some kinda sign girl - oh, my baby, tell me that your mine now - All ri-ight. Just gemme some kinda si-i-i-ign, just gemme some kinda si-i-i-ign." Sorry if I got a little off key, but singing falsetto is getting more difficult as the years move on

Talk to ya soon!

Bobby
Old 08-08-2005, 07:45 PM   #22
stew

List of 1969 Western Trip 3 Campers

I posted the following a long time ago and it's buried in this website's archives. Now that we're making an effort to find each other, I thought it would be worthwhile to post it again. Hope you don't mind:

Message: ATT: WESTERN TRIPPERS !969 - I found a Western Trip relic in my attic. Its a photocopied newsletter faded and hard to read that we published at the end of our trip. It says: Western Trip III Newspaper, 7-10-8-18-69, Godverdamme referring to the favorite expression of one of our counselors who was Dutch and in an illustration of a cloud is the word Charlie referring to the name we gave the rain cloud that seemed to follow us the entire trip. The newsletter contains reporting of trip occurrences and impressions from many of us, words to songs we wrote and sang, a Last Will and Testament, and more. Heres the alphabetical list of us - campers, then counselors: Alan Alterbaum, Frank Badome, Pete Bass, Jeanne Bassis, Marc Berg I remember we got to meet his uncle Dave Berg for Mad magazines Bergs Eye View, Janice Bishansky, Cliff Blackman, Bobby Braunstein, Eddie Cohen, Edna Dix, Don Feldman, Barbara Fischkin, Jeff Fried, Danny Friedland, Mike Goldberg, Stefi Gootnick resident guitarist and composer, Sindy Habib, Steve Hazelcorn, Lisa Hellerman, Lisa Herzlich, Barbie Keiser, Ricky Keller, Ilene Kesselman, Stew Koenig me, Nancy Kravitz, Liz Levenbach, Sue Markowitz, Leslie Medine, Barbara Mensch I remember sometime after the trip Barbara was on a hijacked plane and was okay, Jonathan Metz, Arlyn Miller, Nancy Mirel, Steve Rodoletz, Ronda Rubinsky, Ann Siegel, Fran Smith, Dave Tenen, Diane Tonick, Doug Weber, Jeff Weber, Joan Abromowitz, Arty Zeidenweber, Sue Shapiro, Paul Kemme the Dutch guy, Jo Anne Brandt, Ed the Bus Driver, Harvey Belkin.

Name: Stew Koenig

Email: stew@koenig-adpr.com

City: Syracuse

State: NY

Last edited by stew; 08-08-2005 at 09:15 PM.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:03 PM   #23
Alan Alterbaum

Russell,

So why hasn't Joan signed on? I've had two acquaintances who have worked in the Bedford Schools (both at the Middle School, I might add) who know/knew her. The first, Barbara Shein, is Clifford Blackman's sister. She retired a few years ago and moved to Florida. She and her family were members of the same schul that I belong to in Yorktown. By the way, we missed you at the reunion this year. Hopefully we'll see you, and maybe Joan too, at the next reunion.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:59 AM   #24
Russell

Joan

Alan, I had a great time last week getting together with Joan down here in Boca Raton. She still has that great Wel-Met spirit alive in all of her being. I went over how to sign in with her on this site but I don't think she is that familiar with websites like this. I will email her with this tidbit about Cliff Blackman's sister. I look forward to getting to the next reunion and hope to see Beth Goldberg and Amy Levitt. When I come they don't but I hope there will be another reunion next year. Russell