Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums  

Go Back   Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums > Current Memories Forum
Memories Forum Home Quick User Guide Register Wel-Met Photos Find Other Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2004, 03:09 PM   #31
candj

That's terrible....so young.
candj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 06:29 AM   #32
roz

Charlie Mallott was actually living in Ithaca at the time that he died. I spent a little time with him during his last few weeks. I would be honored to talk to anyone about Charlie's life in Ithaca and his illness, perhaps at the reunion this summer, if you are there.
Roz
roz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 08:23 AM   #33
Adam Siegel

Hi Roz,

Can you tell us a little about what he was doing in Ithaca. Did he have a family...?

Adam
Adam Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 09:13 AM   #34
BRotman

I lost contact with Charlie for the most part after he graduated from college. I do know that he majored in philosophy. I believe he was working at a natural foods co-op at the time of his death. I don't remember if he had a girlfriend at the time. I think his brother David is still living in New Jersey.
BRotman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 12:17 PM   #35
candj

when and where is this reunion? Do people bring their families or go alone?
Old 05-06-2004, 12:37 PM   #36
sueblum1

candj - Vita

Hi! I think we were in the same bunk in unit 34 (or maybe you were next door) - were you in a bunk with Nina Pearlman and Liz Copasso - I can't remember if Lisa Simon was in that bunk that year? That was the bunk I was in. I know I was next door to Michelle - and no, bummer, I wasn't in Charlie Brown that summer - I remember seeing it though! All good memories.
sueblum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 01:18 PM   #37
MichelleHelfeld

For the record....bunk 33 in unit 34 in 1974....Lori Tauber,Lisa Simon,Sue Rosenberg,Valerie Blecker,Margaret Parker,Allison Wishner,Liz Capasso,Hildy Epstein,Stacy Siegel, Susan caro,Orly Aron and Nina Pearlman!!!I think The unit clerk was named Irene and maybe our unit director was a Bobby?Or maybe they were just counslors.....I am trying to post pictures soon.Do you remember that we used to sign pillowcases or t-shirts at the end of the summer(instead of autograph books)?I still have a few of those pillowcases!!!!
MichelleHelfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 01:28 PM   #38
candj

Sue,

I didn't start going to Narrowsburg until unit 5...1975. I went to Barryville before that. All those names ring a bell...I think most of them were there once I started attending Narrowsburg.

I remember the pillowcases. Unfortunately, I had a very unsentimental mother who threw everything away when she sold my childhood home!!!! So the only thing I have are pictures from the western trip.

I remember being in the Wizard of Oz during pioneers. Brandi Weill was Dorothy, Chuck M. was the lion, Mike Kramer was the scarecrow and I volunteered to be Toto. I remember taking a lot of crap for that!!!! But I was in every scene and got to save the day!
Old 05-06-2004, 03:47 PM   #39
sueblum1

Wow, you are really sending me back - both of you. Michelle with my whole bunk roster and the Wizard of Oz show - yes, I certainly remember Chuck as the lion and Kramer as the scarecrow - perfect casting - I won't say the same for you being Toto - that wouldn't be kind! I'm afraid if it weren't for you guys I couldn't remember anything on my own. I pulled out my photo album last year after the reunion and that helped a bit. Going to Narrowsburg last August definitely helped and was truly one of the highlights of my life (no comment!) (and the girls at Camp Sternberg were so awesome, far more welcoming than I know we would have been!!!) So thanks to you all for helping me relive the best summers of my life!
Old 05-10-2004, 11:09 AM   #40
Rbistrong

Wizard of Oz

Why is everyone making such a fuss about the Wizard of Oz. Everyone knows the true highlight of Wel Met Theater was the year before, with Anne (I forgot her last name) as Maria and yours truely as Tony!

All love hearing all these names. I used to run into Suss, Kramer and Goodman every now and then in High School, in the Bronx, and even saw Mandi a few times on the subway.

For the record, Danny Fishman was from East Rockaway, as was I. I went to Lynbrook and he was in the East Rockaway school system, but we used to visit a lot. Too bad we lost touch. I definitely remember Craig Greenfield.

Adam, your name definitely sounds familiar. What gives?

I now live in Jacksonville, Florida, and travel internationally for a living. Would love to hear from the 70's crowd!

Best ,

Richard Bistrong
Rbistrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 11:10 AM   #41
Rbistrong

Wizard of Oz

Reviewing the first paragraph, I forgot to mention for those newcomers to theater, of course, the play was West Side Story!
Old 05-10-2004, 01:13 PM   #42
Adam Siegel

Re: Wizard of Oz

Quote:
Originally posted by Rbistrong
Why is everyone making such a fuss about the Wizard of Oz. Everyone knows the true highlight of Wel Met Theater was the year before, with Anne (I forgot her last name) as Maria and yours truely as Tony!

All love hearing all these names. I used to run into Suss, Kramer and Goodman every now and then in High School, in the Bronx, and even saw Mandi a few times on the subway.

For the record, Danny Fishman was from East Rockaway, as was I. I went to Lynbrook and he was in the East Rockaway school system, but we used to visit a lot. Too bad we lost touch. I definitely remember Craig Greenfield.

Adam, your name definitely sounds familiar. What gives?

[I was thinking the same thing...about your name. I grew up in Woodmere. Went to Hewlett H.S... Richard Kirschen, know him? He was a fellow Wel-Metter and my best friend (still very much in touch).]

I now live in Jacksonville, Florida, and travel internationally for a living.

[what do you do?]

Would love to hear from the 70's crowd!

Best ,

Richard Bistrong
Old 05-10-2004, 01:43 PM   #43
Rbistrong

Hi Adam:

Funny, my father lives in Hewlett, on Trinity Place, which is where he moved after East Rockaway. Where do you live now? I work for a company called Armor Holdings, VP of International Sales, primarily in the manufacture of police and military equipment. It is a fascinating business. And yourself? My direct e-mail address is Bistrong@armorholdings.com.

Best,

Richard
Old 05-10-2004, 02:04 PM   #44
candj

Richard,

I don't remember West Side Story....Weird. The play that I remember before the Wizard of Oz was Man of LaMancha. I know I've done a few Fiddler on the roofs too, but that might have been at Barryville.

Also, your name doesn't ring a bell....were you on the western trip with us in 77? Do you remember me?

Today, I received a camper packet from the camp that I'm sending my son to this summer. He's turning 8 in june and this is his first time going to sleep-away camp...I'm only sending him for 2 weeks (my first summer, which was not wel-met, I went for 8 weeks and I was only 7!). No one around here sends their kids to sleep-away camp until they're 9! Can you imagine? It's also a heck of a lot more money that it used to be that's for sure!

Vita
Old 05-10-2004, 02:07 PM   #45
MichelleHelfeld

Richard....Anne Geller played Maria to your Tony.I remember I was a little upset that my best friend was playing your love interest even though at that point we were no longer a couple!!
MichelleHelfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 06:04 PM   #46
sueblum1

summer theatre

And I remember Children of a Lesser God, but I think that was the year before I was in Unit 34, when I was in Unit 4, with kids a year older than me. After Unit 4 most of those kids went to Unit 5 and Hildy Epstein and I were demoted to Unit 34. Which is where I belonged, but I think Hildy was ready for Unit 5!

And Richie - did I ever mention that one year, back when I was in highschool, I "found" your father's house on Trinity Place when I was working for the census, walking door to door. Of course I knew Kim was "somewhere in Hewlett", but untill I went to Hewlett High School, Hewlett might as well have been a state away! (I lived in North Woodmere!)
Old 05-10-2004, 07:48 PM   #47
Adam Siegel

Quote:
Originally posted by Rbistrong
Hi Adam:

Funny, my father lives in Hewlett, on Trinity Place, which is where he moved after East Rockaway. Where do you live now?

[I'm in Northampton=Western Massachusetts (but not quite in the illustrious Berkshires) where I'm a fundraiser here for Smith College). Also quite interesting with lots of travel meeting interesting women].

I work for a company called Armor Holdings, VP of International Sales, primarily in the manufacture of police and military equipment. It is a fascinating business. And yourself? My direct e-mail address is Bistrong@armorholdings.com.

Best,

Richard
Old 05-17-2004, 02:01 AM   #48
Roberta Grubman

Unit V - 1975

Okay, I've been browsing thru your posts thinking, "yeah I know that name, I think I know that person." I was a Counselor in Unit V - Narrowburg, 1975 - Roberta Grubman - have I got the right people? Is it you guys? If so, someone posts some photos please! It was a terrific summer!
Roberta Grubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 11:39 AM   #49
candj

I have some great pictures from the western trip (77) that I want to post. I'm just waiting for my husband to install our scanner!

I was in unit 5 in 75...Does my name ring a bell (Vita Siracusa)?

I can't remember anyone's name from that year!!!!! I can't even remember my bunk number but I think it was eighty something!
Old 05-19-2004, 11:54 AM   #50
sueblum1

Unit V in 75??

I think I must have been in Unit V in 75 and on the western trip in 77 - man, I had this all figured out last summer, but now can't remember!! Adam - help me out! - Roberta, do you remember any of your campers names? I will pull out my photo album this week and try to piece it all together.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:35 PM   #51
JoelleHochman

Hi, I just found out about this site--so great to see/hear familiar people! I was on the 1977 Western Trip #2, the last one. I went to Barryville in '70, '71 and '72, then when it closed I moved over to Narrowsburg.
Does anyone remember Michelle Schnur from the Bronx?
I was in touch with Jon Dunn (woods counselor) for a while in the mid '80's when I moved to the Boston area. We're out of touch now but I think I heard he moved to CA.
I have lots of pictures that I'll post when I have a chance. It was really fun to see the photos from our Western Trip and see myself in some of them!
So sorry to hear about Chuck.
Please write if you remember me.
Joelle
JoelleHochman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 11:12 AM   #52
Roberta Grubman

Narrrowsburg, Unit 5 1975

Heh- Vita, Joelle - I think I was your Counselor in Unit 5, 1975- was it Bunk 82? Joelle, didn't I direct you in Man of La Mancha? Vita, didn't you have long, wavy blond hair? How are you, where are you guys? Do either of you have any photos of that summer? Joelle, Jon Dunn did move to California - I heard he is living in Orange County and I can get you his info if you are interested.
Great to see you both on this site!
Roberta Grubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 12:53 PM   #53
candj

Wow Roberta!!! What a great memory you have! I did kind of have long wavy blond hair back then. I don't think that I have any pictures from that year, but when I get the chance, I'll go digging and scan them in. I can't place your face, so if you have any pics of you from them, please direct me to them. That was my first year at Narrowsburg, and I have fond memories of that year. I was also in Man of La Mancha...I think I played a duke or something!!!!!

Joelle!!!! I remember you too! How are you? I think I even remember you from Barryville! You live in the boston area as well I see....what brought you up here? What do you do??

I lost touch with everyone from wel-met, but I have visited the Narrowsburg branch a couple of times since then. I visited during the summer of 1981 when it was an orthodox jewish camp for girls. My boyfriend at the time and I showed up there on a saturday and I remember it being a problem letting us look around because of the Sabbath, but I did get to see Pioneers (because they weren't using that area and have pictures of me in front of different places where I had graffitied my name!!! The last time that I visited was in the fall of 1987, when I attended a wedding not too far away from there.

My 8 year old son is leaving for sleep-away camp for the first time this sunday! I'm re-living my past vicariously through him! At this point, I'm more excited for him than he is, but I'm sure that will change quickly!

Vita
Old 06-25-2004, 06:36 PM   #54
sueblum1

Hi Joelle!! Of course I remember you! Do you even remember me- that's the question!! I don't know how many summers we were together in bunks but I have terrific memories from the Western Trip. For some reason a vivid memory is of you on a swing (or something) at a truck stop somewhere - don't ask why - but I can see you plainly. Maybe I'm still wondering why a swing was at a truck stop?? Maybe it was just a tire and I've imagined it was a swing? Anyway - doesn't matter - glad you found the site - it's a terrific place to relive our past and also a terrific place to put off doing what should be getting done in our present!! Also glad you found the photos - those will really jar some memories!!! Anyway - let me know if you remember me - I was Susan Rosenberg then.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:04 PM   #55
JoelleHochman

Wow, you guys are good. Ok, Roberta, did you go by a nickname? I think I do remember you, still trying to fit all the years/faces together. And yes, I'd love Jon's info. We actually dated for a while when I first moved to Boston...
And Vita, what was/is your last name? It's all slowly coming back to me. I went to SUNY Albany for college, then moved here on a whim--actually I looked up Jon but he was my only contact. I'm married and have a 21/2 y.o. daughter.
And yes Susan, I think you are clearest in my memory. Where do you live now? Are any of you in touch with others from our generation? Do you remember Ralph? He and I were such close friends, now I don't even remember his last name.
And yes--Man O'Lamancha is still in my head all the time!
What about the Pajama Game?
And one year we started the play with Aquarius in it, but I think the drama counselor left and then we did another one...
Keep jogging my memory old friends, I'm sure it'll all come back.
One more thing, I did visit about 5 years ago, Baryville had been turned into a gated community (boo hoo) and I did get to wander around the camp that is now at Narrowsburg. Wouldn't it be great to have a reunion there?
--Joelle
JoelleHochman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 10:17 PM   #56
Adam Siegel

Hi Joelle,

I do remember you--more so now by name than by face. But, for what it's worth, I remember liking you.

I do like thinking about all this. So, thanks for weighing in.

We do have something else in common. I lived in Somerville for a while (college) and later (at 890 B'way). Now, due west in Northampton, Mass.

Post a photo of yourself from back then, if you've got one. I keep meaning to return to my archives, too.

Adam Siegel
Old 06-26-2004, 08:27 AM   #57
candj

Joelle,

My last name was Siracusa.

I don't remember the pajama game, or a drama counselor quitting. It blows my mind though how some of us remember something clearly and others who were there have no memory of it at all!

So you've been in boston for awhile! I went to college here (B.U.) and always meant to come back after graduation, but it took 11 years!!!! I used to work in somerville....1310 broadway...for a non-profit organization called "Resolve". Have you heard of it?

I have 3 boys....8,6 and 2 1/2! and am in the process of embarking on my 2nd career!!! I'm starting a nursing program at Simmons college in sept. I've spent the last year taking all the science prerequisites!

Joelle, are you working?

Vita
Old 06-26-2004, 12:40 PM   #58
sueblum1

Joelle - I'm glad to be remembered!! The reason "we are so good" (at remembering) is because we have been at it (on this site) for about a year - for me anyway. I now live in CA, in a suburb of Los Angeles. I have 3 kids, all much older than any of yours I'm afraid!! They are 11, 13 and 15!! My oldest has her drivers permit!! The younger two are boys. My husband and I moved to CA back in 1985 so he could attend UCLA law school and we never left. Last summer, just hours before I was to leave for the airport to visit family in NY, I decided I would try to find out how far Narrowsburg was from the Nevele Hotel in Monticello. I was going there for a small family reunion and to celebrate my grandmother's 90th birthday. I had always wanted to return to camp, but never had. Long story short - in my search for a map of Narrowsburg, I discovered this site and learned there was a reunion planned at the Nevele on the very same weekend I planned to be there. Needless to say I was completely blown away. More complete coincidence - I "found" Nina Pearlman (now Yeckes) at this site and she was visiting her parents near Monticellos for the summer! She came down to the Nevele so I got to visit with her. Eddie Karp (and plenty of others) were there for the reunion. Do you remember Phil and Seth Myones (sp?) - twins that worked in the mess hall? They were there too. Anyway - we toured the camp that Sunday and the girls that are now campers at the religious girls camp (Camp Sternberg??) were incredibly gracious and inviting and it was a really great visit. The only real difference is that they have a pool now. Otherwise you would be amazed at how much the same it is! Anyway - I've never written quite this much but I can relate to how much you must be thrown back right now - into memories that are coming back slowly but surely! There is another reunion scheduled this July I believe - you can check this site under the reunion thread. I won't be in NY then. I didn't know many of the people as they were from years before us, but it was great fun.
OK - enough for now - search your albums and post some pictures!!

Susan
Old 06-26-2004, 05:31 PM   #59
candj

Sue!

Where in L.A. do you live? My husband and I lived in santa monica from 1991-1996....the tumultuous years!!!!! (earthquakes, fires, floods, riots, O.J.) After my first son was born we had an opportunity to move back to boston and jumped. It was fun living out there, but never a dull moment! I also missed the change of seasons and my family. My hubby is flying out to L.A. tomorrow morning for work and we'll be visiting all of our friends and his sister. I'm so jealous...wish I could go.

Vita
Old 06-26-2004, 06:00 PM   #60
sueblum1

We live in La Canada - a small city north of downtown and west and north of Pasadena, in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains. It's a really pretty place and very convenient to downtown (15 minutes) which is where my husband works. We lived on the westside for a few years when we first moved here (1985) but haven't lived there since 1989. I know it's weird, but the fires, floods, earthquakes have made for a pretty interesting life!! The earthquake of 1994 is one of my favorite stories!! (We lived in Encino at the time, a few miles from Northridge) - another story for another time. I don't miss the seasons - as we get to NY at least once every year - we were there for the Great Nor'easter a few winters ago and for the blackouts last summer! More fun stories I guess! The only thing I really miss are the terrific fall colors! My sister thought I was a bit lame when I took her down one street in my town that was lined with trees that actually changed colors - not quite the acres and acres she sees each fall in New Jersey, but it was my little heaven!!