Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums  

Go Back   Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums > Current Memories Forum
Memories Forum Home Quick User Guide Register Wel-Met Photos Find Other Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2004, 12:03 AM   #1
Mark AC

Lightbulb Staff show

I believe I worked at Narrowsburg in '68 and participated in a show-"Man Of La Mancha!"-after reading some of these great messages I saw someone mention that play in '69! Perhaps my grey matter is mixed up unless that show was done twice! At that time I was the A&C counselor! I remember a bunch of counselors being fired for camper rebellion at the time which was followed by an epidemic of "that kissing disease!" My mems of Welmet of a camper and a counselor have lasted a lifetime-I tried to extend that gift to my daughter and son but I believe their camp experiences shall never compare! The endless days of rain and water/mud fights-the frogs that were dipped into shellac to preserve them till they were ready to go home! The campouts, the cropsy killer! I could go on but i will leave room for others! If you worked there in '68 please drop me one!
Mark AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 11:15 AM   #2
Davia Love

Hey Mark! Do we get a last name? Or what unit you were A&C counselor in? In '68, I was the Unit Clerk in Unit 4 - the UD was Eddie Fisher (or maybe Ben Ami Gelin - I clerked in that unit in '67 and '68). Give us more details!
Davia Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 02:08 PM   #3
dean weber

unit4 and 5

davia: I was in unit 4(bunk 72- chuck bilich, counselor, swing- kenny riportella). the UD was eddie fisher, whereas in five, it was dick hughie. I think that man of la mancha was 1968, our unit four. how to succeed in business was unit 5. I'm pretty sure that I don't have the plays years reversed. the stars were david chefek and brett finklestein. my name is dean weber. thanks
dean weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 02:12 PM   #4
Davia Love

Dean: Are you related to Cliff (given that you're from Westbury, I assume so)?

I remember Brett, not David. Was Lori Lerner also in that production, or was that my other year in Unit IV?
Old 08-12-2004, 01:33 AM   #5
dean weber

davia: yes, cliff is my brother(lives in yorktown heights for the last 8 years.) when he was a counselor for bunk 76, I was a camper in bunk 72.
dean weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 12:12 PM   #6
redbear

1968 unit 4

Unit 4 in 1968 was my first year in camp.Many people who have been posting on this web site attended camp that six weeks.

Can we remember the names our bunkmates from 1968?

Bunk 71: 5 of 10 Robert Aspirin, Bob Klein(Behr),Paul Shapiro,Barry Rosenberg, Jon Dunn....
Counselor Marty Guttman, Swing Richie Freiman.
redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 10:40 PM   #7
Mike Alterbaum
Super Site Supporter

Redbear: I was in Unit 4 in 1968 and all the names you mentioned sound so familiar to me, especially Jon Dunn (he was a good friend of mine), Paul Shapiro, and the counselors. Was I in your bunk along with Danny Brietstein? Didn't Paul Shapiro play guitar? By the way, what is your real name? I'm Mike Alterbaum.
Mike Alterbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 03:05 PM   #8
MitchEDELSTEIN

Man of La Mancha

Mark AC,

I'm not sure what year Man of La Mancha was, it certainly could have been '68. I worked on props and lighting for the show. I remember the director was quite demanding. That the guy who played Sancho Panza was as funny as any Sancho on Broadway. It really was very professionally done, given the great limitations.

Mitch Edelstein - Barryville 63/64 Narrowsburg 65/66 WT 67 Central Supply 68-70 Silver Lake AA 71, Central Supply 72/73
MitchEDELSTEIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 02:16 AM   #9
NikiD

Man of La Mancha

That incredible actor playing Sancho Panza was the late (great)Jeff Tenzer. It was definitely 1968. I enjoyed playing the role of Aldonza (Dulcinea). Fred Janney(?) was Don Quixote. Larry Wollman was Pedro. The director was named Liz, a counselor or unit director from Unit V.

The campers did How to Succeed in Business. Jeff Tenzer was the director and I assisted with the musical numbers.

Unit IV ruled that summer.

What a fantastic experience!
NikiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 11:34 AM   #10
Davia Love

Niki, I just sent you an email.

To everyone, Niki is downplaying her role in this. She had (has?) one of the most beautiful singing voices I've ever heard - fabulous as Aldonza, and equally great as Adelaide in Guys and Dolls (what unit were we in?).

Jeff Tenzer was not only a wonderful singer, he was also a wonderful friend.
Old 12-22-2004, 03:45 PM   #11
NikiD

Davia, you're very kind.
Guys and Dolls was Unit V (1964). It was my second summer at Wel-Met. Jeff Tenzer was Nicely Nicely Johnson. I'll never forget his rendition of "Sit Down You're Rockin The Boat."

He was a natural actor. And you're right, the best possible friend.
NikiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 11:42 AM   #12
Davia Love

Guys and Dolls

Niki, I remember "Sit down...." so well. Didn't Phil Weissman play Sky Masterson?

On another note, are you still in touch with Linda Rauch?
Old 05-29-2005, 11:32 AM   #13
Marty Guttman

Bunk 71, 1968

Redbear we have to stop meeting like this. The names you gave are correct except the Robert I remember is Robert Schwartz. in addition I remember Chuck Garnick and I'm not sure of the spelling johnny Annais. I'm not sure if Brett finklestein was in our bunk. I know he was in my bunk in Unit 3 the year before.

By the way that year's Man of Lamancha by the staff was an incredible experience. the entire ensemble was incredible.
Marty Guttman is offline   Reply With Quote