Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums  

Go Back   Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums > Current Memories Forum
Memories Forum Home Quick User Guide Register Wel-Met Photos Find Other Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2004, 10:29 PM   #1
Mike Alterbaum
Super Site Supporter

Wel-Met Reunion 2005

Dear Wel-Metters,

After the Wel-Met reunion of 2003, I promised that I would never help organize another one. Since then, I have lied two times! Roz Guterman and I organized the last one in 2004, and Marty Baicker, Barbara Scheinman, and I are currently in the process of organizing this summer‚€™s get-together. The purpose of this post is to simply let everyone know what‚€™s going on so that you can all mark your calendars. This is one party that you will not want to miss!!!

This summer marks the 70th anniversary of the creation of Wel-Met (it was founded in 1935), and therefore we require a very special celebration in recognition of this milestone. We already have some things planned which may be of interest to a few of you, or more accurately, to a few thousand of you! If you are wearing socks, you might want to hold on to them because what I am going to tell you will knock them right off!!

Due to the graciousness and extreme generosity of Camp Sternberg‚€™s Rabbi Greenwald, the 2005 reunion will take place at what used to be the Narrowsburg Division of Wel-Met Camps (currently Camp Sternberg). Perhaps some of you are familiar with this particular location in upstate New York! All the bunks, the Rec Hall, and Birch Lodge will be open, and the water & electricity will be turned on. This will be a 4-day, 3-night Wel-Met Camps session which will begin on Thursday, June 9th and end before sundown on Sunday, June 12th. On Saturday night, there will be a long-overdue Tribute to honor a select group of former Wel-Met Administrators and Directors, followed by a Social in the Rec Hall!!

‚€œYeah, but what about the Barryville Division? After all, this is supposed to be a Wel-Met reunion and not just a Narrowsburg one, and we can‚€™t visit Barryville because it is now private property.‚€Ě
Well, that statement about Barryville is only half right! Even though Barryville is now a gated community, Marty Baicker has gotten approval for visits to Barryville during the weekend of the reunion. The property owner will give Marty a special key code that reunion attendees will be able to use to open the gate. We can then enter the property and walk around. There will have to be specific days and hours for this, and we will figure that out during "program planning"!

So far, that‚€™s what we‚€™ve got. Not too shabby, huh? I shall now wait for you to go pick up your socks and put your hiking boots on! And there are lots of other things still in the planning stage such as other activities, dining considerations, and hotel accommodations for those not wanting to stay at the camp. We will decide on an entrance fee to cover expenses and to provide a generous donation to Rabbi Greenwald. We will need to abide by certain rules which will insure our safety as well as insure that we are respectful to our hosts. I will add additional posts as we figure these things out.
The dates of the reunion, however, are firmly established and will not change.

At some point, we will need an accurate count of how many of us will be attending so that the Barn Boys can order enough snacks for the usual nighttime delivery!

By the way, for this incredible, grand re-opening of Wel-Met Camps we do not require that you have nametags sewn into your clothing, and there is no limit to the amount of candy you are allowed to bring! What a difference 40 years makes!!

See you at camp.
Love, Mike

Last edited by David Fried; 12-24-2004 at 03:40 PM.
Mike Alterbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 03:40 PM   #2
David Fried

Hi Mike,
Let be the first of many to say THANKS. Some of you know already how I feel about this idea. But to actually pull it off, this is awesome!!!! To all those who helped make this possible you can feel very proud.
I will do my best to use any and all resources to get the word to as many as possible.
David
David Fried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 03:54 PM   #3
Cliff Ageloff

Talking In Tents, MAN!

I hope there will be place for the Jansport Hilton!
Cliff Ageloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 07:00 PM   #4
dglauber

Talking Sounds great!!!

Mike,

What a great piece of news just as a new year is beginning. The prospect of spending 3 days back at Narrowsburg after so many years. I can imagine having almost continuous deja vus and flashbacks to so many crucial and amazing memories. Will there be a limit to how many of us can attend? And, will there be any effort to organize eras or generations of folks to reunite? As well as ways to build bridges to Wel-meters from other generations whom we share much with, but will only be meeting for the first time. So many possibilities. Socials with the music of that time, a middle-aged softball game, schmooz, hikes around the lake and off course singing around a campfire accompanied by some of our guitar playing troubadours(Who were the campers, counselors and administrators who you remember playing for us so beautifully?)....

I would be especially interested in having a forum for those interested in trying to extract the essential ingredients that were the magical, accidental gifts that so many of us received from our years at this special place that influenced the journeys that ensued for each of us.

What ideas and fantasies would be you have for a large woodstock-esque welmet reunion?

This will be my first reunion to attend, so excuse my unbridled enthusiasm and flights of creative fantasy of what might be possible. I will refrain for now from listing the hundreds of names of old friends and comrades I would hope to run into there. In truth, whether we ever went to camp together before or not, I would like to meet all ex-welmeters who yearn to re-kindle some aspect of the flame of what we knew during those summers. Not too many people get the opportunity to explore early layers of our selfhood like this offers us, especially on the sacred grounds themselves. Thanks so much, Mike.

Later,

Don Glauber
dglauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 10:39 PM   #5
Mike Alterbaum
Super Site Supporter

Wel-Met Reunion 2005

Don,

It's great that you are so excited about the reunion. Now me, I'm looking forward to sharing a few dozen brewskies with some great old friends, and getting hugged by bunk-loads of hot-looking babes! But all the stuff you mentioned is good too! As all the bunks will be open, and we have many acres of woods, there is basically no limit to the number of attendees. But seriously, if you would like to organize a Forum of any kind, please do so. I'm sure that you would get a great response. See you at Camp. Mike

Last edited by Mike Alterbaum; 12-27-2004 at 10:59 PM.
Old 03-13-2005, 12:39 AM   #6
JoelleHochman

Hi Mike,

This is so great, I'm very excited. Am I right to assume that our families will be welcome as well (partners, children)?

Joelle Hochman
JoelleHochman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 01:30 PM   #7
Mike Alterbaum
Super Site Supporter

Joelle,

Yes! Families are most certainly welcome.
See you there.

Mike
Old 04-17-2005, 10:44 AM   #8
EddieK

Any details on the June reunion ?

Eddie
EddieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 11:12 AM   #9
Scott Gollop

Reunion 2005

As the date draws closer, and as my calendar begins to fill, I would also like to know more about what is happening. Have we rec'd responses? When do we expect that people are going to begin to arrive? What food should we bring? Are activities being planned?
Scott Gollop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 07:57 PM   #10
Mike Alterbaum
Super Site Supporter

reunion details

Eddie and Scott,

I am waiting to receive some information concerning the reunion and should have it in about a week. After I receive it, I will then send out another mass email (with more reunion details) to all of those in my address book, and also post it on this website.
Can't wait to see you guys (as well as everyone else).

Mike (Peach)
Old 04-26-2005, 04:40 PM   #11
BennyWax

Wink 2005 Reunion

I'm really excited about the reunion this spring. My calander is blocked out as well as some of my old buddies. Talk about not being able to, or even wanting to relive the past. This is a very cool happening.
I hope to get the details and see if I can help in any way.
Please make sure I'm in your address book for the info.

benny wax :0)
BennyWax is offline   Reply With Quote