Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums  

Go Back   Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums > Current Memories Forum
Memories Forum Home Quick User Guide Register Wel-Met Photos Find Other Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2004, 08:53 PM   #1
norm

Barryville 1965-66 units 4&5, Western #5, 1967

I pass through Barryville several times a year. This past weekend, while getting a battery installed in my van, I ran into the son of the former Barryville Caretaker and our conversation about those days got me thinking about the camp. I was in unit 4&5 in 1965-66, and Western trip 5, 1967. Does that ring a bell for anyone out there in cyberspace? My name is Norm Levine...my brother Mike is also a former Barryville camper. If you were there, please get in touch!
norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 11:10 AM   #2
Ira Shuldman

Trying to remember

Norm
I am not sure if you remember me or I remember you?
my name name is Ira Shuldman, I was in the following units at Barryville in 66 Pioneers, 65 unit 5, 64 unit 4, . Let me know if there is a click
ira
Ira Shuldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 04:37 PM   #3
norm

It sounds like you were one year ahead of me Ira... I skipped Pioneers and went on trip 5 in 1967. two summers ago, I walked through the remains of Barryville...up from the lake front where a big rock protruded from the ground in the shade of the trees as in the web post photo, up through the ball field area to Unit 5, which had been demolished...a few scraps of wood, bed frames and such were scattered about...even the road had largely been reclaimed by the forest. Since finding the Wel-Met site, I have worked to recall memories of those summers in 65 and 66, but much has faded. I wish I had taken a camera. Nice to hear from you! Did you go on a Western Trip? I wasn't clear from your reply if you went in "67.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:54 PM   #4
Ira Shuldman

Barryville

Norm I went in 67 but earlier on the trip. Went with Bobby Faust and others. Sorry to hear about Barryville and the lost sites but I too do not have pictures of the good times and wish I could reproduce the visions I have in my mind. That we can take with us forever. Now is to reach all the others out there that made us all enjoy what Wel Met gave us. Lets hope all of us can connect with the ones we went to camp with.
Old 02-08-2004, 12:26 PM   #5
Kitchenboy4life

Trip 5 1967

Norm & Ira

I was on your western trip in 1967. Two of the counsellors on the trip were Ed and Cheryl Kagen. Cheryl was the sister of the girl who disappeared from camp on her way to Watkins Glenn. I have many memories of trip, mostly packing the bus, the portable record players on the bus and some of the songs we listened to and that the girls made up parities to. My name was changed by the trip director, the first day of the trip from Harold to Hal while playing frisbee in Silver lake. I continued the welmet life for five years after the western trip in the Barryville Kitchen.

I met Bobby Faust my first day at Barryville in 1961, I was in bunk 3 "Bunk of Wise Men" Bobby I believe was in Bunk 13.

Good to hve a moment to relive a special time in all of our lives.

Hal Brandell
Barryville 1961 to 1972
Kitchenboy4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 04:53 PM   #6
norm

Western Trip 5 1967

Hal: Great to hear from you. I have a photo album from the trip which include some black and white photos from Steve Cohen that might be worth posting...of course I don't have a clue how to do it, perhaps my wife or kids can help...one of the photos was definitely of Eddie (counselor). I can still put names with some of the people, but the memories are fading...your memories of the portable record player got me thinking- one was of the " new" Beatles album (Sgt Peppers), Best of the Animals was there as well...do you remember any others ? -Norm
Old 09-22-2006, 09:34 PM   #7
vicki

Western Trip V 1967

Most incredible six weeks. I remember so much and have tons of pictures. Wish I could go again. Vicki Blasser
vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 05:13 PM   #8
glenn conway`

Just found this wonderful website! Was at WM in early to mid 60's ... Units 3,4,5... Western trip (I need to look up the year) ... kitchen boy. A Barryville fellow throughout. Anyone with a memory please contact me.
glenn conway` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 07:41 AM   #9
Ira Shuldman

Glen is that you?

Glen lets see how good your memroy is . Unit 5 we had want was called a Wel Met band. You , Rich Devries, me -we fooled around but had a good time.I see you found this site, many have
how do i get in touch to say hi via email etc.
I live in long island ny and have been in touch with others.
let me know
looking forward to speak and say Whats up?
ira shuldman
Barryville unit 5 65
Old 10-23-2006, 08:47 AM   #10
glenn conway`

Hello Ira,

Making my way through layers of mental placque ... I am beginning to see the fog lift from the Barryville lake, again I am seeing the wooden cookout baskets with broomsticks through wire handles held by campers like us (filled with gov't bricks of cheese and loaves of bread that were perhaps two feet long ... didn't we get globs of fat for our blackened pots?). Images of "roundups" are reappearing ... remember the funky stage and logs we sat on? I can almost hear us singing (Cumbaya, If I had a Hammer etc,), I can almost see Richie's brown Guild guitar. I can almost smell the aroma of gorilla balls, I can almost feel that blasted bed spring poking me awake in the morning. It was another time ... another place. I didn't realize then how deeply I was being molded by my WM experiences. At its core ... people.

I am living in Westchester, married 29 years to a gal I first set eyes on at WM, two kids, still dabble in music, one year to retirement from a career as an educator in NYC, still a liberal, still believe we can all get along.

Thank you for your reply. Yes, Ira I do remember you. Let's stay in touch.

Last edited by glenn conway`; 10-23-2006 at 06:22 PM.
glenn conway` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 08:45 AM   #11
Ira Shuldman

great to hear from you and good to see you do remember

Glenn
Nice update to what you have been doing. Wel met has molded the way I live, free easy always smiling and always feeling the good life as it was when we were there. I see "everything" clearly that if I could print the images in my mind they would be exactly the way it was.
I live in long Island , married, a second time , to my best friend for 24 years. I have a daughther , 20 years old ,who is in college in NYC. I work as a National Sales Manager for a personal care appliance company, get this , products that remove hair for women. who would ever think. I travel a bit and still when I see the light let loose in my free time.
Good you remember Richies guitar. He is a vet in Albany with his wife. Bobby Faust live in Brooklyn. As a matter of fact we had a western trip reunion in the summer this year with the trip I was on 67' trip 2. there saw Joan Weber and Harvey Lowell whom I think you remember.
We will keep in touch and if we can get others that were in the units we were in we can set a reunion.

best for now
Ira
Old 03-25-2007, 07:31 AM   #12
item2852

Do you remember me?

Ira, I just found this site. I'm Ira Temchin, we were in camp many years together. I see you are in touch with Bobby Faust. Wow it's been a long time. I haven't noticed any other names that I recognized.
item2852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 11:15 AM   #13
Ira Shuldman

Ira
sounds funny when I start off with my name which is also your name.
what have you been doing? Where do you live?

As you may know from the site there will be a reunion which I think is trying to be made into a all Wel Met type reunion.

Refresh the menmory of what units we were in together.
Thanks

Ira
Old 03-28-2007, 04:55 PM   #14
item2852

Cool Barryville etc...

You know, now I think I'm mistaken. There was another Ira in camp, but there was also a Barry Schulman. I may have confused the two of you. I missed the Western trip, as I had screwed up that year in school and had to attend summer school. I think you would know me from Pioneers Unit 5 and 4 ( if you're the same Ira) You knew Bobby Faust? He and I were good friends, along with Steve Levine. Wendy Brett and I grew up together on LI. I'm currently in Northern NJ, in a town called Wanaque.
item2852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 07:37 AM   #15
Shelley

Barryville Pioneer Memories

Ira Temchin....Look at page 9 general Barryville pics...Isnt that you with Ira on the accordian and Richie on guitar. Its hard to make out. Brownie cameras weren't high quality. That year I was seeing Ira and my bestest friend Amy Lebenson was with Richie DeVries. Remember.......?
Shelley is offline   Reply With Quote